Forums and mods

Indie-Resource announcements, news and any site discussion.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Forums and mods

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I want to increase the user experience here in a positive way so we need to discuss and make a decision on the current forums. Do we change the look? Add mods? update to a newer version which would require a re-install(we would not lose posts)?

Let me just say I am not moving from PHPBB so do not even suggest. if you want mods then what ones? Link? What can I do to make things easier for everyone and improve the forums?
Xaos

Re: Forums and mods

Post by Xaos »

I'd like aa newer look to go along with the banner better. A chat box would be nice, but I also don't want to take away from actual postings.
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

Halls,

I have several posts in this topic about mods :P Upgrading to the new PHPBB would be a massive +1 because so many new features are already installed so it would save you from actually installing them manually.

What I suggest is:
Do a full upgrade of the forum, install the new versions and make sure everything is working
Leave it for like a few weeks and then see what the users want to have that will increase community actions!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

thanks for looking out for the forums chrome, you and others have made many good suggestions and I started to try to find them all then decided this was the best way.

We are currently on version 3.0.10 and the newest version is 3.0.12 and there has been no feature adds between the two so I am not sure of the new features you mention.
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

I was talking about a different forum software:O Im dumb.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I will need to actually get an idea of what is available out there before I can make any meaningful suggestions, so I will try to get on that soon (work load is bad atm ) :P
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

The check for new posts must be improved. So at least put a link in the header, as this option is not always available which is kinda stupid.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I may end up re-installing the new version of phpbb and just restarting. Not resetting the data of course. I customized the crap out of the forums a few years back and have forgotten what all i did and now it won't update.

I am one that hates change when it comes to forums and sites but this is OUR community so I will do what makes everyone happy. Do we like the style? Want a new one?

If you have any themes in mind post links here. Maybe we do another vote?

The reason things have stayed the same so long is I am more a member than an admin or owner.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

The style is fine. It's more about a few things like the "new posts" link missing, and the poor visibility of private messages in some areas which annoy me.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer

Return to “Announcements and Site Discussion”