[PHP] Is this a good security?

C++, C#, Java, PHP, ect...
vitinho444

[PHP] Is this a good security?

Post by vitinho444 »

Hello guys, in my free time i'm doing a browser based game, a simple thing.

So for the password encryption (or hashing) i created a function that i think it's good in case hackers get your database records, they won't be able to see any passwords.

Here it is:

Code: Select all

function Encrypt($string)
{
	$eText = md5(md5(md5($string)));
	$eText = substr($eText, 0, 20);
        $eText = md5($eText);
	return $eText;
}	
So what this does is triple hash a $string, then cut the 32 length hash to a 20 length and hash that again.
I don't know if it's a good way to hide out passwords, but i guess those "rainbow databases" don't have this in their records.. so yeah :)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Chris

Re: [PHP] Is this a good security?

Post by Chris »

That substr isn't a good idea and could possibly create multiple passwords working for one user account.

What you could do is use a prefix, that's unique and will most likely not cause your passwords matching any md5-hash record databases.

function Encrypt($string)
{
   return md5(md5(md5(md5( 'my_unique_prefix' . $string))));
} 
What you could also do is not store the password, but store the password+username or email combitination:

$userCredentialsHash = md5( 'prefix_' . $username . $password );

Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
dbest

Post by dbest »

Taken straight from the OWASP site: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Passwor ... heat_Sheet
Use a cryptographically strong credential-specific salt

A salt is fixed-length cryptographically-strong random value. Append credential data to the salt and use this as input to a protective function. Store the protected form appended to the salt as follows:

[protected form] = [salt] + protect([protection func], [salt] + [credential]);

Follow these practices to properly implement credential-specific salts:

Generate a unique salt upon creation of each stored credential (not just per user or system wide);
Use cryptographically-strong random [*3] data;
As storage permits, use a 32bit or 64b salt (actual size dependent on protection function);
Scheme security does not depend on hiding, splitting, or otherwise obscuring the salt.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

dbest wrote:Taken straight from the OWASP site: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Passwor ... heat_Sheet
Use a cryptographically strong credential-specific salt

A salt is fixed-length cryptographically-strong random value. Append credential data to the salt and use this as input to a protective function. Store the protected form appended to the salt as follows:

[protected form] = [salt] + protect([protection func], [salt] + [credential]);

Follow these practices to properly implement credential-specific salts:

Generate a unique salt upon creation of each stored credential (not just per user or system wide);
Use cryptographically-strong random [*3] data;
As storage permits, use a 32bit or 64b salt (actual size dependent on protection function);
Scheme security does not depend on hiding, splitting, or otherwise obscuring the salt.
I know about the salt. But i think chris' way is easier and faster to use. I know my db won't get hacked, even if it was going to be, i think nobody will crack a prefix + md5 hash...

I think i will use the method:

$userCredentialsHash = md5( 'prefix_' . $username . $password );
by jacko, since each user gets his own security, what about hashing the username and password before hashing all together? SUPER PROTECTION!!!!! XDDD
Last edited by vitinho444 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I did this system:

function Encrypt($string)
{
	$eText = md5(md5(md5(md5("oryzhonStudios_" . $string . "999"))));
	return $eText;
}	
And it works cool at register.

But the login hash is not the same as the register.. wtf? Is the same encrypt function and the same string...
Last edited by vitinho444 on Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

vitinho444 wrote:I know about the salt. But i think jacko's way is easier and faster to use.
Hehe, I think you mean Chris.

If you are using PHP 5.3 or higher (and you probably are), I believe you have the very powerful SHA-512 algorithm available. I have not used it, but from my Googling for a library, it appears that openssl_digest() can take "sha512" as its second parameter and what you want hashed as the first parameter. SHA-512 is considered on of the toughest hashing algorithms right now.

If there is something wrong with this, I know that there are downloadable SHA-512 scripts you can use to generate the hash.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jesus christ, i look at the name and i always think in jacko :P

Im so sorry Chris :oops:
Jackolantern wrote:
vitinho444 wrote:I know about the salt. But i think jacko's way is easier and faster to use.
Hehe, I think you mean Chris.

If you are using PHP 5.3 or higher (and you probably are), I believe you have the very powerful SHA-512 algorithm available. I have not used it, but from my Googling for a library, it appears that openssl_digest() can take "sha512" as its second parameter and what you want hashed as the first parameter. SHA-512 is considered on of the toughest hashing algorithms right now.

If there is something wrong with this, I know that there are downloadable SHA-512 scripts you can use to generate the hash.
Well why php doesn't have a sha512() function yet? Lazy bastards :D jk, i might use that one yes, i don't see the point of hard encryption when i think nobody will ever hack my game since there's no point.. but the fun ofc.. xD

Thanks ;)

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Well, if you are hashing, and you don't have to go way far out of your way to choose a hashing algorithm that supposedly has not been broken yet versus one that most definitely has (like MD5), I say go for the better one!

That, and it is a good learning experience. One day it is likely that SHA-512 will be the bar, with algorithms much more powerful above it that people trade scripts to use, and MD5 simply being a footnote in history. May as well get familiar with the algorithm that will take your game further into the future :cool:
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Ok, so i check that website you gave me openssl_digest() ?

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That is my understanding. I have not used it myself before, but it should be there provided you have an up-to-date PHP installation :cool:

Return to “Coding”