Voice Comm & FTP

Keep it clean but fun.
bogezie

Voice Comm & FTP

Post by bogezie »

Hello guys, Just wondering if the community ever thought of having a Voice Communication Server? I have a TS3 server running, and all you guys would need to do is download the TS3 client from http://www.teamspeak.com and connect to my server through the connections preferences. Also there is a FTP File Browser where files can be uploaded and downloaded by registered users in my database. I think this would solve some of the issues we have with file download from other websites, and we also get to have real time convo's...who knows maybe Voice Comm would be very helpful in the event you are working with a group in the community on a high priority project your team is building.

If anyone else in the community think it's a good idea just let me know, then I'll talk with Halls and the other admins for permission to set up the File Browser for indie-resource.com on my TS3 server.
Jackolantern

Re: Voice Comm & FTP

Post by Jackolantern »

I will leave that one up with Halls. I know we have tried various real-time communication systems before, from voice chat, to text chat, etc., and the problem was always that what seems like decent daily activity in the forums averages out to only a handful of people being on at a time, with generally at least half of those people not wanting to go into the chats and just posting in the forums.

I don't know, though, I will have to see what Halls thanks. It is a very generous offer, though, and I appreciate the willingness to add to the community however it works out :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
MikuzA

Post by MikuzA »

If you have already server running it would never hurt to have it as an possibility for the community.
Dependant on what kind of ideas/projects people might need help on, VoiceComm is always better than having to write loads of text.

FTP might be ok for those who do not have own space to share from.

But as I would see this, these two are good features that are nice to have as an possibility, they might not be used that actively as wished but if they are there, they always help.
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The FTP could be a good place to store community-accessible assets and resources. The other option is either Git or a file sharing site and most of those file sharing sites cost money to keep them up long-term. :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I appreciate the offer but I have learned the valuable lesson of keeping all things IR on IR controlled servers. I would glad buy anything we need but we just don't use them. At least in the past attempts. I have had a IRC server, Vent, ect.. but never had enough traffic. Even with the forums getting a million hits a month.

I like the idea of a FTP server though. I love the kindness and modesty of the members of this community.
bogezie

Post by bogezie »

Hey guys I understand :) just trying to help in anyway I can. If there is every a time in the future that the community may need those services, just let me know.

Return to “Off-Topic”