Fantasy TD - MOTD

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Elvar

Fantasy TD - MOTD

Post by Elvar »

Our mascot "Custom guy".

Hellow fellow developers.
Felt like it was about time, to tell a bit about our (we are two dudes) project, and when i say our, let me start by telling our story so far.

The Beginning.

FantasyTD all started out as a summer project, we were four Computer Science students, which had absolutely no idea of what to do with our 2 month long summer vacation. So we rented a house for 2 weeks, near the beach, and it turned out to be really shitty weather those 2 weeks, so we actually got quite some work done.

So the original plan, was to mix a browser game with a TD. Here you would create a user, then acquire Creeps which you could attack other players with, and towers, which you would use to defend with. There would be a currency, for which you could use for trading, and buying new units/towers. and it would of course contain a levels system, earning experience point by defeating other players, raising your power.

After 2 weeks had past, we actually managed to get all the base mechanics in place for the game, it was actually playable. By that i mean, stuff like, Buying/placing/upgrading/selling towers, creep waves, timers, gold, buffs, range detection.

A early version of the game.

What's next.

So after we spitted, two dudes fell off, never really heard from them, so we are assuming they lost interest. After some thinking, we decided to take a leap of faith, and change the concept totally, we were going heading for multiplayer (Multiplayer Online Tower Defense).
This is actually how i found this website, i fell over some NodeJS tutorials on ImpactJS website, might actually be worth mentioned, that the game is developed in ImpactJS, it's good for stuff other than platforming FYI.

The Game.

So this is the the basicly the concept, which is somewhat inspired of Warcraft 3.

Everything will take place in your browser, and work out of the box, no plugins required. The first page you will see, when you visit the site, http://billedeupload.dk/images/SyKl.png which basically ask you for a alias, in order to enter the lobby.
Once that i filled, you will enter the lobby, http://billedeupload.dk/?v=GcAdH.png as you can see in the SS, you have a list of active games, those games are waiting for more players, and are ready for you to join them. On the right, you have some filter settings, which will be more advanced than the actual.

From lobby you also have the choice of creating a new game. Should you do so, you have some options, firstly you get to choose a game name, and if it should be a private session or a public game. Then you get to choose a game mod; when we release this game, hopefully we can offer the first 2 game mods, "Tower War", "Coop".

Tower War, consist of 2 teams either 1 on 1, or 2 on 2, you place towers to defend your heart, but you also need to send creeps on your enemy lane. Sending creeps will increase your income, which makes for more powerful creeps and towers. The first to leak 30 creeps, looses.

Coop, consist of 2-4 players, which together defend there heart, from random generated creeps, and bosses.

Did you choose Coop, you get to choose a difficulty as well. At last you need to choose a map, maps will be custom made for specific number of players.

So at this point, you want to press the create button, which instantiate your game, and take you to the pre-game screen. You game is now active in the Lobby, for other players to join. In pre-game you get to choose team, as well as a Avatar; your avatar defines which creeps you can send in Tower War, and which towers you can build. Avatars got each there speciality, some may be focuses on Heavy, but slow damage, other fast and agile, while others may focus on debuff effects (supporter).

When players are ready, the game take place.

And there it is, this is the plan for now.

As you probably can tell, this a huge project, and team currently on stands of 1 game designer, and me as head programmer, so hard work ahead. Hopefully and if plan sticks, we can release this game in less than 2 years, considering school and job on the side, this is a rough estimate.

Really excited to hear your thoughts. I did want to share some more graphic related, but it's most technical stuff which been in progress, since the first 2 weeks. If it's of any interest, i don't mind telling about what we have accomplished so far, but this will do for now, its 10PM in Denmark, and i am going to bed! :D

Thank you for reading.
Ark

Re: Fantasy TD - MOTD

Post by Ark »

Looks good and a promising game!
Orgullo Catracho
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Looks great! I particularly like the nature-y game UI :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Looks awesome. Nice work and nice post btw
Elvar

Post by Elvar »

Thought i would just post some images. Somewhat describing a progression. :0)

Start screen.

Pre game lobby.

In game picture, with new ui.

Hope you like it :).
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yes, very nice! Glad to see this is still moving forward :D
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Elvar

Post by Elvar »

Thank you guys, glad you like it. :O)
Sestenes

Post by Sestenes »

I love a good TD game, and this one looks sweet. Need any playtesters? :D
Elvar

Post by Elvar »

Sestenes wrote:I love a good TD game, and this one looks sweet. Need any playtesters? :D
We sure do, or not yet, but hopefully sooner than later :-). You can follow us on twitter, we will announce beta here for sure.
https://twitter.com/FantasyTD

Some of the improvements we have added (Only game improvements listed).

- Chat
- Scrolling combat text
- New UI
- Wave information.
- Tower flags, shows owner of tower
- Status screen
- Tower entities on map, color resembler player owner
- Reconnecting player support
- Improved targeting algoritm, no missing projectiles
- Active spawners depending on player count

Here is a image of our improved UI, also added scrolling combat text, and chat. :0)

Here the status screen, activated by pressing tab.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

The layout is sooo nice

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”