Reviews of PBBG engines on the list

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
Jackolantern

Reviews of PBBG engines on the list

Post by Jackolantern »

Have you used an engine on the Big PBBG Engine List? Unfortunately, many of these engines are just SourceForge pages with a single paragraph describing them, or they are just links to a code download. For these engines to be of more use, we need people to try them out and report back what they think of them. I am not wanting to make this work for our members at all, but if you are in the market for a PBBG engine, why not try some of these out? And if you do, write up a little review in this thread of what you think, what it offered, any problems you had, and a # out of 10 rating.

Thank you! :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Reviews of PBBG engines on the list

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Excellent idea once again. I have used quite a few and would go back through my old posts and review but they might have been updated since then. I will check on some and see if I can't get the ball started.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Awesome! Can't wait :)
Lord Rahl

Post by Lord Rahl »

I've used both Mccodes and Ezrpg on an open game before. MCC isn't on the list, and the version of Ezrpg I used is now out of date, however the offer is there is you want a review written.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sure, that would be great :) I haven't added MCCCODE because I have never heard anything good about it, and the price is rather high for what it offers. But the more reviews the merrier :)
Oroton

Post by Oroton »

At the moment I'm playing around with the
chivalry engine which at at its core is pretty feature rich.

It has, registration, logins, character creation, classes, battle system map system inventory system
Gambling system, guild system. Forum private messages. And a staff panel.

Although not complete the author is in active development and focuses on issues raised on GitHub.

It's definately in its infancy but has a lot of promise..

Some negatives,

First, there is no template system so A lot of what u see is hardcoded into the PHP files.
This is my first project to translate them too the template system. I'm focusing on this as he's still building different parts and while it's small I can easily commit some of these.

Second it's not modula each feature is in its own PHP file but it's not modula, in regards to making mods for it
On turning off certain features. Maybe after it's infancy I will make them modula.

Third no structure like MVC minor but another thing I will address.

Very sleek design and responsive too built on Bootstrap.

U can see a test system here

http://www.brissyriders.com/chivtest/index.php
User: test@test.test
Password: test

It has admin rights so check out the staff panel
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Nice feedback! If you can help the engine out with those things, that would be awesome! Hardcoded templates and no MV* structure make me sad :(

Return to “Resources”