MMA Sim Game/MMO

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Xaos

MMA Sim Game/MMO

Post by Xaos »

I'm looking to maybe start creating my MMA sim...I have a question though. I'm thinking about using stick-like figures to represent the fight, creating basically a play-by-play system through the images and giving the visual representation of it. For example, if Player 1 threw a jab at Player 2, you may see something like a stick-like figure with his arm out making contact with the other player's head, and each action would be represented by these figures. By the way, for stick-like figures I'm thinking something more than just basic lines and circles, but less than sprites, maybe like block people or something, some kind of figure to be able to show the ground game as well as the stand-up, but that's more or less moot. Anyway, sorry for wasting time and rambling, onto the question. What are the benefits/cons of doing this in PHP or Java? Basically what are the pro/cons of PHP in this, the pro/cons of Java? I'm learning Java and know PHP pretty well. I want it to be kind of like MMA Tycoon, but better. I'll also have stuff like buying gyms, organizations and stuff like that if that plays into the things you guys can think of. Thanks for the answers !
Jackolantern

Re: MMA Sim Game/MMO

Post by Jackolantern »

Do you mean Javascript or Java? I am assuming this is a web game since you are talking about PHP. If so, Java really doesn't have any place on the browser-side anymore. Applets are dead and buried since almost no one trusts them enough to allow their security checks anymore (and really, they shouldn't). If you meant Javascript (completely unrelated to Java), it occupies a totally different space than PHP. Graphics in PHP are simply HTML images. You could show an image representation of the fight on each page, but it couldn't change until the page reloads. Javascript allows changes on the browser without server refreshes. If you coded it, you could even have animated fight graphics.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Oh I was talking about Java, didn't even think about JS though. Since Java has the security probs, and I def don't want that in a browser MMO, I'll probably end up using Javascript.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, while Java does boast being "everywhere" there are really just 2 main places it is found in the real world: on servers and running Android apps. For the most part, any other usage would be discouraged. Particularly anything browser-side. That horrendous "Are you sure you want to run this application?" warning that pops up in browsers, endless update notifications and scores of massive security bulletins yelled about online have all but forces Java out of the client-side world. I am hearing more and more users say they are completely bypassing having the JVM on their PC.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Yeah. I understand. Java seems kind of "unnatural" for browsers anyway.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

One thing you need to consider is a balance between dynamic client-side animation and simply showing a single image to represent each turn in the fight. The former is obviously more impressive but much more work, and the latter is bare-minimum as far as graphics go but dead-easy.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Yeah, I'm wanting somewhere between watching a fight and watching a slideshow, if that makes any sense.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I think so. Javascript is definitely the tool for the job, though :cool:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Javascript dominates browser now. Java claimed its flag when nothing else could but those times our over. Javascript has found its way to rule. Bow to its might force.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Javascript dominates browser now. Java claimed its flag when nothing else could but those times our over. Javascript has found its way to rule. Bow to its might force.

Yes, dear leader.

:lol:

Return to “Game Design”