Pomelo: real-time Node.js game server

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
Jackolantern

Pomelo: real-time Node.js game server

Post by Jackolantern »

I thought some people may be interested in this one, and I was not sure if it was linked elsewhere here. I came across the Node.js server Pomelo on Github (they also have a traditional website here). It is a websocket server designed specifically for MMOs. As proof of that concept, the authors created a demo game called Lord of Pomelo, which can be played here, and you can download the full code for the demo game on Github here.

I would say this is the most complete HTML5/websocket based MMORPG codebase released thus far. Even if you don't plan on using their server, it would make a great example game to review if this is the type of game you are wanting to make :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
srachit

Re: Pomelo: real-time Node.js game server

Post by srachit »

I havent looked much into Halls node, but could you tell me how it differs from halls node?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Wow nice!

Halls Node is just a quick setup for Nodejs. If you are building from scratch or using impact it is an easy way to get a game up and going quickly.

I have not looked at this source so I am not sure how hard it is to place it in a custom game but I will find out!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

srachit wrote:I havent looked much into Halls node, but could you tell me how it differs from halls node?
Halls pretty much outlined HallsNode above. Lord of Pomelo is a full MMORPG, with chat, multiplayer character movement, mobs, a combat system, quests, maps, inventory, login/logout, etc. Of course it would be less work if this is the type of game you want to make. I am not sure, however, where you would be if you were wanting to make something radically different, like an MMORTS. It is possible you may be better off with a quickstart system like HallsNode, since you may have to tear down so much of LoP to create another genre. I am not sure, though.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

hmm can't say I am a fan of the style. Still might be a great starting place for someone.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Comments were also few and far between, something I have noticed is common in the node community, sadly.

Return to “Resources”