Pocket Soccer: example of a simple, highly fun game

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
Jackolantern

Pocket Soccer: example of a simple, highly fun game

Post by Jackolantern »

I just downloaded Pocket Soccer for Android, and have to say it is a blast (it is also available for iPhone and iPad). The reason I posted this in Game Design is because it is an example of a very simple game that could have easily been made by 1 person, has very limited art assets, simple rules, no real-world soccer licenses, and is also very fun. In fact, you could probably make a simple 1-mode version of this game in ImpactJS in a day or two. And yet is has between 1 million - 5 million downloads (Android isn't much more specific) and nearly a 5 star rating from over 19k raters.

I just thought that anyone making mobile games should check it out, as it is a good example of keeping it simple and having everything come together just right. There are dozens of 3D, realistic soccer simulation games on Android, and most have terrible ratings and poor download counts. People just want simple, intuitive, fun games on mobile!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Re: Pocket Soccer: example of a simple, highly fun game

Post by vitinho444 »

yEAH, today's mobile games are SUPER HD, and for what? I want something simple that runs smooth on my 600MHZ android.. I don't wanna HD graphics, if i want to play something HD i will go play BATTLEFIELD 3.

I haven't tried this game yet, but just might, the only game i have on my android is "Who wants to be bilionaire"
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

srachit

Post by srachit »

Really nice and addicting game I must say! And I do agree with Jack that games do not need to be overly complicated but I do not necessarily agree that over complicated "HD" games are bad. The idea of battle field type of games on tablets and moibile devices, is to make that experience mobile. Being able to play games of that intensity from any place is something pretty awesome! And quiet a few games have managed to achieve it, if you have a tablet try out Shadowguns, its made in Unity and it is the best free multiplayer shooter game I've played in a while.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Yeah but making every game in Super HD, doesn't allow people with slowest devices to play them.. I dont like playing angry birds with slow motion -.-
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I definitely don't think there is anything wrong with 3D HD "gamer's games" on mobile. However, those games are largely controlled by a handful of AAA companies, including Gameloft. And there are less people looking for hardcore games than for casual games. Casual gamers with mid-grade devices make up the bulk of Android gamers. Even on iOS, the majority of users have older iPhones or an iPad 1, since most users are not tech-people who are ready to go out and buy the next device when they already have one.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Game Design”