MMO Style MOBA

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
tboxx

MMO Style MOBA

Post by tboxx »

I think if you created a Multiplyer Online Battle Arena ("MOBA") with the standard mmo 3rd person camera, you could use the MOBA style to create a very good combat and ability system which could be later incorporated and expanded upon in an MMO. I also think a MOBA is in some ways is a better natural progression to an MMO than a single player RPG. If you wanted PvP and combat to be a huge draw for your game rather than story and quests it seems like a better place to prefect that than a single player rpg.

I would love to work on a sandbox mmo kit but I also wouldnt mind creating a micro MMO Moba. I would like to try something with a 3rd person camera. In which players built a character and apply stats in say a lobby before hand. Players would be able to build structures and direct npcs to harvest resources for better gear and to produce more buildings. (you have to protect them from getting killed by NPC's "creeps" or from the other team(s)). I think it would be cool if you could kidnap the other team or teams npc's as well. There would be trash NPC mobs and you would have to destroy your enemies base to win. Kinda like an RTS without the top down view. Kinda like DOTA because you have to work on getting gear for your character as the game progresses and you choose when or when not to attack.
Viper

Re: MMO Style MOBA

Post by Viper »

My biggest problem with MMO's these days is the combat system that most use. I understand the issues of lag and things like that but I still believe that things could and should change. Although, i'm partial for a first person camera and combat system similar to chivalry which partially fills the void of what you are describing
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

MOBAs can achieve more real-time combat since there is a limited number of players in each arena, thus, you can't end up with a clustering of 200+ players all requiring data on each other exponentially. You can get more real-time and move more towards RTS or FPS combat if you wanted to since that is more in the range of players of most MOBAs in each instance.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
tboxx

Post by tboxx »

Viper wrote:My biggest problem with MMO's these days is the combat system that most use. I understand the issues of lag and things like that but I still believe that things could and should change. Although, i'm partial for a first person camera and combat system similar to chivalry which partially fills the void of what you are describing

Somewhat off topic but I got issues with typical FPS's Melee games that combat style tends to make group fights seem very chaotic with zigzag running and juking and bunny hoping. I have not played Chivalry tho.
Viper

Post by Viper »

Chivalry also suffers from lag and that whole wild frenzy of bodies flailing. third person may work best if it was worked on how i'm thinking it could in my head.. or similar to this..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/147 ... ui-generis

look at the combat system in the video. I like that its not just point, click, and wait.

Return to “Game Design”