a change

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

a change

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

so I have been doing pretty good on my paid tutorials I sell. Better than expected actually. I need to move to a pvp style battle game using mainly php so I was thinking of creating a fun challenge style game. Where players play in different arenas and go for top score. Players gain score by attacking creatures, gaining fortune, and owning land. To expand from the #1 champ of the game I was thinking separate tiers for level caps like 1-10 then 11-20 and so on. Or separating by realm or something.

Once completed and I get several players playing then I will turn it into tutorials. Just curious on if anyone is interested in these types of tutorials or interested in a game like this. I want to start off with Server side type then eventually move to more client side ajax and nodejs. It will still use ajax for updating of characters however.

Also looking for suggestions.

my daughter wanted me to post these --> :mrgreen: :oops: :lol:
srachit

Re: a change

Post by srachit »

Based on the technology you have suggested in using, I presume it is going to be a 2D based game?

Now the brief explanation you have given, confuses me. Is this going to be multiple players playing against the computer trying to see who gets the best score against the monster? If that is the case then there would not be any real multiplayer play other than looking at your friends score on the board would there?

Also the most important thing in the game would be battling monsters I presume, so this would be another grinding game, of who plays longest is the best?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I spent the first 6 years of my game development "career" working with 3d. I have no interest in returning atm, so yes 2d.

The game will entail both PVP and PVE. Players will fight both other players and creatures. Not going for grind but any game that does not reward players who play longer isn't much of a game.

" Hey I spent 8 hours playing this game and a guy who just joined just beat me!"

That would not be fun. BUT I want to add in enough options that a player can raise up in ranks with good choices and learning the right skills for the map.
tboxx

Post by tboxx »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I spent the first 6 years of my game development "career" working with 3d. I have no interest in returning atm, so yes 2d.

The game will entail both PVP and PVE. Players will fight both other players and creatures. Not going for grind but any game that does not reward players who play longer isn't much of a game.

" Hey I spent 8 hours playing this game and a guy who just joined just beat me!"

That would not be fun. BUT I want to add in enough options that a player can raise up in ranks with good choices and learning the right skills for the map.
What turned you off with 3d?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

The amount of work for 1 person. Modeling, animations, vectors, framerates, reduced market, quality, size, only to name a few things.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Modeling is a biggy. One of the main issues that really brings up the difficulty of 3D development is that in 2D games, you choose what the player sees because the game board is an animated drawing, and in 3D, the player can look anywhere they want. In a 2D game, you could create a relatively small game view with minimalistic sprites to ease up asset creation. Minimalism doesn't work well in 3D games. In a 2D game, for an outside scene, just a grass texture, a couple of plant variations and maybe a tree can set the stage just fine. However, in a 3D game, you are ideally going to model it just like a real outside scene. This includes several different kinds of grass textures, a wide variety of plant models, a wide variety of tree models, rock formations, ground texture variations, etc.

It is a lot like the difference between theater and a movie. In theater (like 2D games), you do your best to get the point across, but no one expects absolute realism. You are limited by what you can do, and that leaves a lot of creativity to give it the feel you are going for. In movies (like 3D games), people are actually expecting realism. Ideally you are actually making a copy of the real world, or a realistic interpretation of a fantasy world.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

agreed!

Return to “Game Design”