Dungeon sim? (Taking ideas)

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
BobMann

Dungeon sim? (Taking ideas)

Post by BobMann »

I am thinking about creating a browser based game around dungeons. Having players be able to explore dungeons and level a character, or create there own dungeons for others to play.

I have no real plans for the game other then an idea and about 30 lines of PHP code.

Anyone? Good idea? Bad idea?
Jackolantern

Re: Dungeon sim? (Taking ideas)

Post by Jackolantern »

Do you have any more plans for it? Will it be real-time? Turn-based? Action-based? Roleplaying-styled? Those things basically make up the meat of the idea ;)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
BobMann

Post by BobMann »

Real time.

But people will be in there own little dungeons at a time. Maybe I will add co-op.
But each player (or if co-op there group/party) will have an id when they start playing witch will identify there dungeon in the database. The data will be deleted when they are done.
Trying to remember what storage type on MySQL was used to store data in the RAM.

Edit: That's about all I got so far, just randomly writing code for the tile system.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh, ok, so the primary design is for a single-player game with possible co-op later? That changes a lot :)

I think you are referring to the Memory Storage Engine.
BobMann

Post by BobMann »

Yeah that's all I got...

Also thanks.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Maybe you should check out a JS HTML5 game engine such as Impact JS or PlayCraft since it sounds like you are going to be needing a lot of client-side animation and game features. PlayCraft is in beta, but you can check out the thread I linked for the creator's email where you can request an access code to check it out. It has a forthcoming server-side feature that could possibly then help you out in adding co-op :)
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

It seems a fine idea - probably presentation will get you further than a nuanced game idea. If you master CSS to make nice borders, tell me how :)

Oh, but probably put in some chat/communication in there, so they can talk to others in a world channel even while they are in the dungeon. These games tend to thrive on chat.
BobMann

Post by BobMann »

I am going to add chat. Seems essential. I am also going to add support for things like PMs and stuff.
I am hoping to expand my account database to stretch across any games I make.
Flap_Jack

Post by Flap_Jack »

That's actually an good idea.
But if/when you make it co-op/multiplayer it's gonna be much more fun.

Are it gonna be with user registration, so you can log in to you'r old account, and continue instead of starter over again, and again each time?
Elvar

Post by Elvar »

I thought about making the same once, but ended up working on a TD (My Avatar). If you are serious about it, then i recommend, as did Jacko, the ImpactJS engine is really great!
Just consider the amount of work you need to put into it, i have easily spend 400+ hours on my TD, and it's not even close to be finished. :D

Return to “Game Design”