Formal Intro

New to the site? Place a post here and let us know about you and what brings you to the site. T
Devereaux

Formal Intro

Post by Devereaux »

Hello everyone! I've been browsing this site for some time now and decided to sign up and join in on some conversations and contribute what I can. As far as projects, I am in pre-pro of quite an ambitious PBBG title that I'm hoping to release in the future. I'm fairly new to PHP (about 6 months) but have been gobbling up any sort of knowledge/tips I can. Mostly interested in best practice and security moving forward. Anyways, I'm excited to be signed up. Thanks for creating a great community for us to play in and learn! :)
Unnamed Wrestling PBBG in Production
Jackolantern

Re: Formal Intro

Post by Jackolantern »

Welcome to the forums! :)

My best practice tip would be to get up to speed with an MVC library as soon as possible if you are starting a new project. That is really where pretty much all professional-level PHP development has gone, because it is really the only way for long-term management and upkeep of large PHP applications. The "all-in-one-pot" applications that blend HTML, PHP, Javascript and CSS just turn into a mess after not too long!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Welcome, glad to have you!

Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

Thanks for the advice Jack, I've been reading up on some MVC practice for about a week now. My consensus is to either run with CI or build one from scratch.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

CI is pretty cool, and probably the most popular PHP framework today. It is extremely flexible, but because of that, you have to pay special attention and make sure you don't begin breaking the separation of concerns in MVC, which is possible in CI. My other favorite PHP framework is Yii, which is also excellent. However, it is a bit more structured, and holds you to separation and code re-use a bit more. It also has to be said that it does have more features.

They are both great, but I would use them in pretty different circumstances. CI basically makes up the minimum I would use for basically any project beyond a single page. However, I tend to like Yii more for more complex projects, such as PBBGs. It just offers more, even if it does have a larger learning curve. :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Devereaux

Post by Devereaux »

Looks like I'll have to check in to Yii then as well. I've heard good things from both just figured the more lightweight of the two would be best for someone somewhat new to programming a big project. Appreciate it! :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Welcome! Love the avatar.

Return to “Say Hello”