Looking for a 2D Sprite Artist

Looking for a team? Need some team members?
darkhuntersfa

Looking for a 2D Sprite Artist

Post by darkhuntersfa »

My current project is a game much like the Jrpgs that Square made for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. The game is nearing the end of its first cycle of coding and I would like to have at least one model for the the alpha release. It will require multiple characters but for now I would like to start with one.

The game setting is fantasy, I would like the character to be a Holy Knight. I would like the art style to be in the same vein as other JRPGs.

The character needs to have:
2 weapon sets. Those two sets would be 2 handed hammer and sword + shield.
Each of those 2 weapon sets should have animations sequences for attack, block, die, switch to other weapon, cast a spell (raise hands or something, maybe float), and idle.
The sequences can be short.
Jackolantern

Re: Looking for a 2D Sprite Artist

Post by Jackolantern »

I am not sure how many sprite artists we have here :(

However, you could at least have some placeholder graphics by downloading and using RPG Maker sprites. Then you will be able to more effectively show screenshots of your game (I know it isn't really fair, but people do judge an indie project and even the code based on how the graphics look), and you will be more likely to find a pixel artist to help you replace the placeholders with custom artwork :)

You can check on their forum, as well as the dozens of RPG Maker related websites.

Our site's admin, Halls, I believe has used RPG Maker graphics several times, and one of his projects that used them (ImpactJS + node.js MMO basic system) got widespread attention, and was featured on several node websites, AppMobi's website, The Hacker Times, and others. So that should go to show that no one is going to dismiss your project because you are using RPG Maker sprite placeholders ;)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Jack is correct. I have yet to receive any flack on my use of those sprites and there are tons of them out there. Many are fan made and free to use.
darkhuntersfa

Post by darkhuntersfa »

It was worth a shot looking for artists. They are really hard to come by it seems.

Thanks for the insight on the placeholder graphics for RPG Maker. Later tonight I will take a look at those links you posted. It is great to hear that many of them are free. As you said hopefully just a few screenshots with some placeholders could get an artist interested.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Your best bet, and the one I have had to follow before because I can't make a sprite to save my life is this:

1. Find suitable placeholder art for your game.
2. Insert the graphics into your game.
3. Pretty it up as best you can with the placeholder graphics.
4. Create an account on a pixel art site such as Pixelation, PixelJoint or others.
5. Make a post looking for a pixel artist there and show off the game with your placeholder art, and advise them it is non-permanent placeholder art.

As much as we programmers feel binded by needing artists, artists also have a similar, although reversed problem. The dedicated, experienced pixel artists continually get in projects with coders who can't see project through to completion, or set the aim too high for their skills, etc. because really, those coders who are serious are also hard to come by. By having your game in a very advanced state with placeholder art, you are telling them you don't have to worry about your dedication, and you aren't just somebody with an idea without the skills to make it happen. That way they won't feel like their art is just going to sit on someone's computer and never be seen once a coder quits on them and leaves with the idea :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Recruitment”