I'm starting a 2d rpg project

Looking for a team? Need some team members?
moonAK

I'm starting a 2d rpg project

Post by moonAK »

It's a 2d online game with php + nodejs and like any game here it's a game made out of passion. I already have the code from my previous attempt at a game so that will help. I've got a very basic engine running and hope to do more but it's slow to do it alone.

I would ideally like to find someone with experience in nodejs and realtime games but i know that such coders are rare and the ones that are out there probably have plenty of stuff to do.

I've done the server coding myself so far but it's a bit of a mess. Anyway if you know javascript, PHP or just want to help with the
interface and game design or sound/music that would be great. Also i haven't picked a name yet so I need to find something that sounds epic.

Thanks.
Jackolantern

Re: I'm starting a 2d rpg project

Post by Jackolantern »

I am not really sure how PHP and node work together. Are you planning to serve the pages with PHP and then connect from the front-side to node? The PHP could be cut completely out pretty easily by serving the pages with node since you will likely only have a couple (if the game is all on one page in Javascript). :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
darkhuntersfa

Post by darkhuntersfa »

How far into creating the game are you? What type of RPG is it? Western, JRPG or something different?

I have done a bit of rpg for the web coding myself. I have actually written and rewritten one of my rpgs from the ground up. Most recent incarnation uses python as the server and canvas for the front end using websockets.

There is a new engine in beta created by playcraft. I started looking at it for another pass at the game. You were interested in node so I thought I could point you at it. It uses node for the server side stuff, and handles a lot of the engine bits for a canvas based game engine. Take a look at it at http://playcraftlabs.com/.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, we have a few members here trying out Playcraft as well. It is quite a cool engine! Also, you may want to keep your eye on RPG JS as well. Supposedly they have a networked MMORPG edition on the way.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
darkhuntersfa

Post by darkhuntersfa »

I just tested out that engine, it looks pretty nice. It took some time to get used to the combat action.

With your 2d rpg project that you are starting, you said you have done the server side code already, or at least started it. Is that what PHP was used for or did you write it using node? Do you have the start of a client written, are you thinking about an engine or do you want to roll one of your own?

Are you using the server to allow for multiplayer or just a way to keep code separated? What kind of RPG is this going to be? Turnbased, tactic, realtime, active time battle?

Return to “Recruitment”