[Req] HTML5/JS

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
MikeD

[Req] HTML5/JS

Post by MikeD »

Does anybody know some good HTML5/JS tutorials? Need to start learning it for my next project.
Xaleph

Re: [Req] HTML5/JS

Post by Xaleph »

How can you tell you need to learn it for your next project if you don`t know how it works? Why not stick around with what you learned so far? Not that i`m not willing to help or anything, but I`d stick with what I know, slowly picking up new techs.

Anyways, here`s a overall html5 tutorial, using html as well as CSS3.
link to the tut this should help you in the right direction. Once you catch up on the HTML, start working on learning jQuery. It`s not HTML5 spec-like specific, but it`s close enough. It pretty much does what is meant by using html5 js-like features.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

@Xaleph: Its possible it could be a project for school or work, in which case he is told what technology to use.

But if that is not the case, then I definitely back-up Xaleph and would say to stick with your current platform. A lot of time and effort can be lost by the belief that only one technology can handle a project, and spending months getting the skill to use that technology, only to finally believe it was another platform the whole time you should have been using. Believe me, I know this from first-hand experience.

As far as tutorials go, I am assuming you are probably thinking along the lines of HTML5 Canvas and not just the new HTML5 tags and semantic markup, so here is Mozilla's nice tutorial on using the canvas element.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
MikeD

Post by MikeD »

My next project will be a 2D sports sim, using HTML5 Canvas and JS. I've seen a couple done with this, and they are works of art.

Xaleph, I know PHP and minimal JS, and I know it can't be done in that, unless it's a text based sim. But that's not what I want to do. Therefore, I will need to broaden my knowledge into other languages :)

Thanks for the link Jack, I will definitely be reading that one :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

That makes sense then :)
Chris

Post by Chris »

MikeD wrote:My next project will be a 2D sports sim, using HTML5 Canvas and JS. I've seen a couple done with this, and they are works of art.

Xaleph, I know PHP and minimal JS, and I know it can't be done in that, unless it's a text based sim. But that's not what I want to do. Therefore, I will need to broaden my knowledge into other languages :)

Thanks for the link Jack, I will definitely be reading that one :)
For that all you really need is a good understanding of JavaScript.

http://w3schools.com/js/default.asp
http://w3schools.com/htmldom/default.asp
http://w3schools.com/ajax/default.asp
http://w3schools.com/jquery/default.asp
http://w3schools.com/json/default.asp
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

W3schools is basically one of the best tutorial sites I know of(besides here) and I learned nearly everything there
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Like Chris said, it`s not HTML5 specific. Canvas is not the way to go right now. It`s too slow. DOM manipulation is proven to be faster and more effective as well as it doesn`t force your hardware to start heating up. The dream is that the canvas element will be hardware driven for graphics, but currently it`s not. So if you run a lot of animations on the canvas, your CPU will have a hard time.

Anyway, I figured you wanted to learn about canvas, so I recommend using Jacks`s link from Mozilla. It`s a good article. As far as "ahem" engines, there are some cool ones out there. I believe Jack even bought some licenses for some of them. Anyway, you could look at EaselJS or RafealJS or Cocoa2D.

All of them offer some great cool tricks you can do with the canvas element but for the fun of it, try running it in the browser for longer periods of time.. ( in case of laptop, don`t use on laps! )
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Nexus wrote:W3schools is basically one of the best tutorial sites I know of(besides here) and I learned nearly everything there
Besides the known problems and shady practices of W3Schools, they are far too brief IMHO. It is hard to believe someone could really learn a technology from them when most of their tutorials basically amount to 3 or 4 stapled pages of reference material. I would highly suggest looking for tutorials outside of W3Schools, and you will find many great, in-depth tutorials that actually teach proper usage instead of just a quick syntax reference.
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

www.developphp.com

one of the best resources for tutorials imo. His tutorials are damn easy to understand no matter how technical things are. He has a few html + javascript tutorials and will continue doing them.

Unfortunately due to haters, he has decided to close communications via forums and youtube comments, but he will still be posting new material to the same standards (and will more than likely open the communication gateway again lol, its not the 1st time he has closed his forums lol).

and he is currently (well i think he still is) the only large scale website owner whos website vallidates to HTML5.

I would deffo check him out.
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D

Return to “Tutorials”