I don't know what to do

Keep it clean but fun.
En929

I don't know what to do

Post by En929 »

I’m torn between what I should do. I recently learned how to make basic web pages. My knowledge isn’t too advanced. I made just a basic webpage, with a comment section and email with basic PHP/SQL, I made a game with JavaScript, and the rest is just HTML with pictures and things I wrote.

But, I’m torn between what I want to do as a career (and this is because I really don’t have knowledge of how the computer field work). There seems to be many jobs in web development itself and it seems like the more wise thing to do is simply concentrate on bettering my web development skills instead of concentrating on making games.

But, it seems like my preference is to make webgames. I find myself to be very very creative in making the webgames using JavaScript (and I enjoy learning Java too). And I have so many ideas that I want to put forth in making web games and just prefer to keep the basic knowledge of making web pages that I have now, because apart from what I already know how to do and apart from the website I already made, I don’t see much more reason for me to concentrate so much on web development per se, but would rather concentrate on JavaScript and Java for making games. But, I just want to know is that a good idea? I’ll eventually have to get another job soon. So thus, I want to know what are some thoughts and advice on this. And again, I don’t know much about the computer field. I taught myself everything. My degree was actually in education. So, what is the best thing to do in this situation? Thanks!
Callan S.

Re: I don't know what to do

Post by Callan S. »

I'd say you have to take up two roles at once: creator/artist, and the artists agent.

The agent side knows that the entertainment industry is quite prepared to leave you living in a cardboard box. But it doesn't tell the artist that - it just tries to keep the artist paying rent just in case a big break comes, by making clinical decisions about income, but not so much it crushes the artist's creativity.

While the artist side knows how drab and dead the agent is, lacking in any creative soul and just basically an automaton. Atleast in comparison. But it doesn't tell the agent that - it ensures the agent feels the creative force it has and shares in the artists creative force.

The world hasn't been set up like a boardgame where there is a right move to make on this in order to win. It's the sort of thing they should teach you in primary school - then you'd have had ten or so years to think about it, instead of ten minutes.

So, go an extreme? Just do web development so you can definately pay rent and buy Ikea furniture? Or go extreme and just make them games you dream of - regardless of fiscal issue?

Or do a mixture, perhaps.

In then end, it'll involve risk. There's no avoiding risk (unless your parents are loaded and have a nice paying job position set aside for you). It's how you manage risk (or atleast attempt to) that matters.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

This does not belong in announcements so I will move it to off topic shortly...

Building games will only increase your knowledge and skills in coding and web development. Make web games until you are confident enough to be able to build any web page. If you can build a nice web game you can definitely build a company website ;)
En929

Post by En929 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:This does not belong in announcements so I will move it to off topic shortly...
Ok, you could move this post to the more appropriate forum. I'm sorry. Let me know which forum it'll be put in.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:This does not belong in announcements so I will move it to off topic shortly...

Building games will only increase your knowledge and skills in coding and web development. Make web games until you are confident enough to be able to build any web page. If you can build a nice web game you can definitely build a company website ;)
Moved ;)

I would agree except it mostly sounds like he is talking about building traditional, loop-based Javascript games, perhaps with something like CraftyJS or ImpactJS. That doesn't necessarily transfer over to making websites per se since you really aren't doing anything with HTML and CSS.

I say follow what your interest is. If you feel yourself drawn to JS games, stick with that for now since that will keep you motivated.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
En929

Post by En929 »

Jackolantern wrote:

I would agree except it mostly sounds like he is talking about building traditional, loop-based Javascript games, perhaps with something like CraftyJS or ImpactJS. That doesn't necessarily transfer over to making websites per se since you really aren't doing anything with HTML and CSS.
I actually use pure Javascript without the engines. I admit, I tend to not like using premade game engines.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

To each there own, but you as you get deeper into HTML5 game development, you may really come to appreciate game engines lol. When you want to rotate a sprite, and realize you are going to have to make a dedicated function to do so due to HTML5's strange rotation system, or when you need more complex collision detection, an HTML5 game engine can really save you a ton of time :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Off-Topic”