So, is this project dead?

Impact, Node, Web Sockets, Javascript, HTML5, Mysql, tons of things in this tutorial
Nic

So, is this project dead?

Post by Nic »

I'm sure you're busy, I can see all the posts in the forums and the multiple engines and projects you're covering. I was extremely encouraged to purchase the ImpactJS engine by these videos, and I'm sad to see the multiplayer engine project you were working on die off so suddenly.

If it's dead, as far as indie-resource goes, could you at least steer me in the direction you would take next?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Jackolantern

Re: So, is this project dead?

Post by Jackolantern »

I would believe it is far from dead. It is one of the more popular tutorial series Halls has done. He has just run into a patch of having very little extra time. The longest tutorial series is his original PHP MMO series, which now stretches into the 30's, and like I would imagine this one will go, videos came out in spurts as he had the time to produce them.

The best thing to do in the meantime is experiment! You can also find non-game related Node tutorials and work them in, such as one of the many node chat tutorials out there. You could also check out some non-Impact, non-node online game tutorials out there just to get a general feel of the logic to things. Flash MMO tutorials are out there, and a ton of the logic would apply to Impact/node as well, except it will be much easier with node on the back-end. You could also dig more into standard node materials, such as online tutorials on howtonode.com, or if you have a little money to spend, the book Node: Up and Running. Learning more about the asynchronous nature of node can only help you in the long run. And beyond all that, just try things out! Make a copy of your project so you leave the video tutorial code as it is left here, and then try to add new features in the copy you made. They won't work in the beginning, but try to understand why they don't work, and try to debug them and get them working. In the end, that is really how you learn to develop games and really any software.

Best of luck, and be patient! I am sure more is on the way :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sweet! Thanks for the quick reply, and the advice.

I'm going to stick with the ImpactJS HTML 5 engine, and am going to purchase books to assist me in further developing this project on my own. I still look forward to additional videos.

Guess it's experimentation time.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds good! You are going to have to experiment sooner or later anyway, since the video series can't possibly cover all features everyone wants. It would probably cover about 50% of what each viewer wants in their game, and will help to lay the foundation so your experimenting can be fruitful, but the other 50% is going to be from-scratch features :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Not dead, like Jack said I am just swamped and I apologize for leaving it left undone.
tuckbone

Post by tuckbone »

Just thought I'd bump this, see if there was maybe an update? or an ETA for anything getting resumed? :D
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I can't speak for Halls, but I think his forthcoming project, HallsNode is going to either augment this tutorial series or possibly replace it. HallsNode is a foundation framework for getting online games (and the facilities they require) up and running fast with Node, and then allowing you to expand it out to be any type of multiplayer online game you want. Once HallsNode comes out, I would assume most members are going to want videos and tutorials that deal with it, so I am guessing that is putting this basic Node tutorial in the background until that gets sorted out.

Of course, for an official answer, you will have to wait for Halls.
tuckbone

Post by tuckbone »

Right! Then i'll go post in that thread! thanks! :D

Return to “Impact and Node/Socket.io”