Road to Darkness - A Horror Story

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
vitinho444

Road to Darkness - A Horror Story

Post by vitinho444 »

Hello guys, i'm here today presenting you a quick game i'm developing.
No name yet, but the genre is a horror game. A bit like slender, but please don't say its a copy because it will be a complete different game, different story (richest i think) and a different objective.

Storyline: (90% completed)

The game begins with a road trip, you (player) travelling alone in your car, listening to Gangnam Style on the radio (my idea, i love that song). Then in a second, no gas :o , and where are you? middle of nowhere. You have the road but you stop near a sign that says CITY_NAME_HERE - HIGH_MILES_HERE, bottom line, you can't go by foot, but then somehow (this is the 20% left) you find evidence that shows that where you are (you can and need to go searching) there are fuel tanks.

Objective:
There is a main objective, and some secondary ones.
The main one is basic, collect the necessary fuel to make the HIGH_MILES_HERE distance without stopping again of course.
The secondary ones are still in the paper, but of course on of them is get out there alive.
But wait, it's a horror game right? No, there is no slenderman out there... faceless guy? please.. There are a group of swamp monsters :roll: :lol:
You thought slenderman was bad?

Just That?
No, of-course it's a normal car, normal person so there are some things inside the car you can use, as a strategy to get out of there faster, or at least alive. I didn't made a list yet, but it will be something like, a flashlight, the car-keys, some cans of coke or some beverage, cd's and that's it i think, at least for now.

So guys, before i start, i would like to know if you like the idea and give me some feedback, also if you want to participate in this little project you can PM or reply here with what you can and cant do and where you could improve the game, i just give a quick note for people interested making this game with me, this is a small project.. Like slender it's not a full campaign game.. We can make several "environments" but that's all because the story i think it's very restricted , please say if it's original or if it looks very like amnesia or slender, because i don't want to be called a copier of other games..

Where this game idea appeared?
Well, since everybody loves horror games now, and i see a indie-game like slender get so popular and i think i can make a better one.. Just off-topic: don't you think the game mechanism is basic? I think.., i'm not saying mine will be advanced.. it won't, i'm saying that i could make a game like slender, and i will do this one.. it can suck more but i don't care!

Trailer: [youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLClDpbKlvo[/youtubehd]
Last edited by vitinho444 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Re: GAME_NAME HERE - A Horror Story

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds cool! I had never even heard of Slender before, so I am sure plenty of other people haven't either (I am a big horror fan) :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

I think it sounds like an interesting idea. Good luck with it :)

And I've never heard of Slender either :(
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

I've heard of slender.

I think it'd be good to try and avoid reloading on failure - instead something happens to the protagonist, something appears to get under his skin, make his veins twitch (have some POV shot of raising the back of his hand to view). Also maybe with each failure, having an increasing number of crazy thoughts, represented by alpha'ed sentences panning across the screen and dissapearing every so often. Bible quotes might be good for that.

It'd just be good to not let the player escape by failing/ie, at failure he is forced to reload and so he is forced to get rid of any effect on him.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Thanks for the feedback.

Callan, sorry if im being dush, was your reply an idea for me? If yes thanks a lot. But can you explain a little better, are you saying something like the function on amnesia that will cause illusions if you stay in the dark too long?
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Callan S.

Re: Road to Darkness - A Horror Story

Post by Callan S. »

Well, what are your (or does your game have) lose conditions? Maybe a swamp monster rushing out at you with it's claws.

In traditional game design, if it gets to the kill condition then...it's reload time.

I'm saying perhaps instead have the character black out and...suffer some kind of growing infection instead. Possibly making them slowly become a swamp monster.

Just suggesting to avoid the 'reload and everything is fine again' habit alot of games (scary or otherwise) fall into.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”