Dev-related student discounts

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
Jackolantern

Dev-related student discounts

Post by Jackolantern »

It is that time of the year again where pretty much all students are back in school. I figured we could compile some development-related student discounts and perks here to help people out. Here are a few I know of:

1. Dreamspark: Probably one of the best student-discount deals for devs. You can get many Microsoft products completely free, in some cases saving hundreds or even thousands of dollars. This includes the full Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc. There is a larger service called "On the Hub" that offers even more, including full, licenses versions of all current versions of Windows, but your school must participate in that program (it is not open for individual sign-up), and in some cases you must be in a particular program or track to get an account. Right now on Dreamspark you can get a 90-day free membership to Pluralsight, which is one of the best .NET-centric video tutorial websites. Membership for Pluralsight typically costs around $49.99 per month, so that is quite a deal. I have watched many of their series and enjoy it!

2. Adobe Education Store: You can get huge discounts on all Adobe products by being a student. You can get the Adobe Creative Suite 6 Design and Web Premium for $450 (regular price is $1,900!). Most other Adobe products run about 40 - 80% off with the student discount.

3. Notebooks for Students: I don't have much experience with this one, but I have read all over the internet that you can get some of the cheapest laptops capable of running modern software on this site if you are a student. They are also registered as a non-profit and seem to specialize in refurbished devices, but they also have new. These could be great development systems considering that you don't need a top-of-the-line system for developing.

Anyone else know of any other good student discounts on development-related products or services?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Chromeozone

Re: Dev-related student discounts

Post by Chromeozone »

Thanks alot ^^
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very good topic. I actually get these in email all the time about discounts for students. A ton of adobe and Microsoft stuff. Will put here when find.
Luke111

Post by Luke111 »

I'd be careful about that notebooks for students. Their website has typos on the front page...
I don't believe in platform-specific development, but I also don't believe in Apple.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Luke111 wrote:I'd be careful about that notebooks for students. Their website has typos on the front page...
Wow, I didn't read much into that...hmmm....

They list the Better Business Bureau right on the front page. I think I am going to remove them pending some more research. Thanks! 8-)
Luke111

Post by Luke111 »

Yeah, the problem with the adobe education store is most people going to HS/College still don't have $450 to dump on programs, with gas being around $60-70 a tank. I don't know, I still like to go on vacation. :)

-Luke
I don't believe in platform-specific development, but I also don't believe in Apple.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Luke111 wrote:Yeah, the problem with the adobe education store is most people going to HS/College still don't have $450 to dump on programs, with gas being around $60-70 a tank. I don't know, I still like to go on vacation. :)

-Luke
I hear you lol. I just figure I would put it up just in case anyone has some extra Pell money they were looking to spend haha.

Oh, and I looked up Notebooks for Students on the Better Business Bureau, and they have an A (only thing higher is A+). I used to handle BBB inquiries at a company I used to work for, and I can vouch for the fact that it is hard as heck to keep that BBB score up. They are extremely customer-focused and basically make the company give the customer whatever they want (with a tiny shred of reality). So I am adding their link back to the list! :)
Liquid Shock Games

Post by Liquid Shock Games »

Autodesk - all their software free for 3 years

https://students.autodesk.com/?nd=register

only drawback I found was, we used Maya for 3D modeling and animation classes and it was pretty sweet, after becoming proficient with Maya I found it hard to easily adapt to a new program (tried Blender because it was free) so I had to kick out the cash for a copy when I was done.

Unity will run specials from time to time for the Pro copy at half price for students but you have to check with them every once in a while
Liquid Shock Games
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very cool stuff! I forgot that Autodesk does good deals, too!

Return to “Resources”