FPS X10?

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
KingScar

FPS X10?

Post by KingScar »

Based on the activity of this section I assume I'm bringing up a dead topic, but am I the only one who still messes around with FPS Creator? I've known about it for a long time, but never really played with it until recently and honestly, I actually like it a lot! with being able to build a structure with the prefabs and then throwing your own textures over everything and making your own weapons etc. to really turn the prefabs into something of your own or bringing in your own models, when used correctly, FPS X10 seems like a good place for small indie teams to create some really interesting games with enough time and effort. However, I may be wrong. These are strictly first impression type assumptions. I''m not familiar with all the limitations of it yet.
Advanced:Html(XHTML), CSS, Writing
Intermediate: php, MYSQL, Level Design, C++, JavaScript
Beginner:Java, C-Lite, 3D modeling

The difference between me and you:

You: :geek: Me: :ugeek:

vitinho444

Re: FPS X10?

Post by vitinho444 »

I used x9 and x10, to be sure, i loved them back in that time, but now.. im a 4/5 in unity and i dont like FPSC that much. I think its a cool tool to make a easy FPS, but i dont like the price.. i think they are getting greed.
One thing i loved was the model packs avaiable.. they are really cool, well modelled, well textured and they are 5* quality.

Its curious because today i will start looking for adding FPSC model packs to unity.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I love both FPSC. Easy and fun to use. The biggest issue with 10 was it was only for Windows 7 or better but now that most people are on D10 now anyways it doesn't hurt. I was actually thinking of using it for a fun lan game for friends.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

I played once in LAN with friends and it was super cool, its very funny for that end.

But my problem still is paying for it.. i think its not worth the value.. They should put it free and then sell only model packs.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

They do (or at least did) have a free version which used DirectX 9 (the same as DarkBASIC Pro). The X10 version was the DirectX 10 version that was re-coded from the ground up to be faster and have better graphics.

EDIT: Here is a link to the free version :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
KingScar

Post by KingScar »

Yeah, I grabbed it figurin' "What the hell, why not?" and I actually really like it. And like halls said, given that everyones on DX10 nowadays anyways it'd be cool to see someone take a game seriously and try something with it. :idea:

*EDIT:

Speakin' of which, what ARE the limitations to FPSX10? Is it even possible to create a game past your basic fun LAN game? And has anyone really ever looked into the FPI scripting? I'm looking at it now and it's just a simple boolean language with actions seperated by a conditions and actions seperated by a : so, proper code structure would be:

:condition1,condition2:action1,action2

*EDIT 2:

Ehhh after looking more into FPSC it's not so great after all pretty much for just making fun little personal games. I'm thinkin I'm gonna check out UDK. Any opinions on UDK?

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

While I have not really used it much personally, it has never seemed to me that UDK offered a ton more than Unity. And just on the off-chance that your creation blows up and becomes popular, UDK requires a 25% royalty, whereas Unity has no royalty. There is also more documentation, tutorials, books and help with Unity.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

But on a side not UDK is 1000x the engine Unity is. Unity is great but UDK is a Titan. High learning curve and royalties but good god it is a beast of an engine!
KingScar

Post by KingScar »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:But on a side not UDK is 1000x the engine Unity is. Unity is great but UDK is a Titan. High learning curve and royalties but good god it is a beast of an engine!
MY POINT EXACTLY! You're definitely right though Jack, I've used Unity plenty of times now and as much as I do love it, the Unreal Engine is responsible for about 90% of all of my favorite games within the past couple years and not to mention, LOOK AT IT! It just screams badassery. :lol:

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Maybe so, as I said I have not used either one much. I just know I have seen commercial games made in Unity that look about as good as commercial Unreal games. And beyond that, an indie/hobbyist developer is probably not going to be seriously pushing either engine (very few indie games look like Batman Arkham City), in which case I would think Unity would be the better choice due to more support, more tutorials, smaller learning curve, and no annoying royalties to keep up with.

Return to “3d Engines”