2D games in Unity

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
xcalpro

2D games in Unity

Post by xcalpro »

Found this series of tutorials for creating 2D games in Unity. Hope it is useful to someone.
http://www.rocket5studios.com/tutorials ... ls-part-1/
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
OldRod

Re: 2D games in Unity

Post by OldRod »

That is pretty cool!

I tried making a Donkey Kong clone once in Unity... didn't get very far with it though :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I always thought making 2D games in Unity seemed kind of strange when it seems so tuned for high-tech, next-gen 3D. Maybe a even a bit like ripping off the top of your Ferrari to use it as a golf cart lol (not that I am dissing 2D game development, as that is the only game development I do). Does its 2D stack-up well against other client-based 2d-only engines?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Hmm, this is interesting, thanks for posting it, xcalpro!

Jack, well, when I look at flash and I look at unity, I find unity simpler to use. So it's their fault for making a nice coding environment! lol!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Simpler to use than Flash?! Flash has been about the most simple 2D game development platform I have ever seen, so now I am interested :D
The indelible lord of tl;dr
dbest

Post by dbest »

Thats one of the better tutorials for making 2d games in Unity. I tried to follow it for a while, but didn't get too far (as usual).
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Jackolantern wrote:Simpler to use than Flash?! Flash has been about the most simple 2D game development platform I have ever seen, so now I am interested :D
Well, I tried flashdevelop from the flashpunk site and really it all seemed quite scattered - really the relics of animation code used for something it wasn't intended for. Are you talking about using some sort of libraries in flash that aid in platformer making? The furthest I got was to use some platforming code someone else wrote and it seemed to have to do alot of very particular setting up. Whilst in unity, if you were to just use the first person controller, you could just drag blocks around and ahey, platforms. Granted, that's 3D not 2D, but I've done some work in 2D and it felt more like using basic (granted, object oriented) of all things!

Now I feel like going and making a unity basic platformer, just because I think I can and to test that (not tonight though! Tired!). Because I really have no idea how to do so with flash.
xcalpro

Post by xcalpro »

If all your looking to create is a simple 8-bit game similar to the demo like LodeRunner with ladders and platforms, then something like Construct2 would be a much easier solution than Unity. To me Construct2 is perfect for recreating classic 8-bit sprite games. Its basically drag and drop with no coding. Doesn't get simpler than that.
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
dbest

Post by dbest »

No love for GameMaker then?
Their new studio version supports games for Android, iOS as well as HTML5.

I did use an older version of GM, will try to see how Construct2 works for me.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

I never much cared for GameMaker... but haven't tried it in a couple years now. Unity - I figure I paid so much for it, I should try and do *something* with it, but just never stick with it long enough. Of course I felt the same way about Torque3D and haven't touched it in years :(

Haven't tried Construct2, but want to.

Return to “Tutorials”