Fight Cycle

Got a project near completion? Got a project with lots of screens and media? This is the place. This is for nearly finished and Projects with lots of media.
Callan S.

Fight Cycle

Post by Callan S. »

Fight Cycle
Fight Cycle is a quick, simple persistant browser game (with chat) about beating other players stats, gaining skill (up to 1000!) and at 200 skill and more, gaining more Victory Points than anyone else to win the current Fight Cycle! Be displayed at the top of this page and in the Fight Cycle history books! As well as leaving a few long lasting wound penalties on other peoples characters along the way!
I wrote up fight cycle in about 7 days (non contiguous) in my resolve to actually write a complete game I thought I could complete, even if it's not super complicated (the layout is deliberately minimalist). Turns out that although it's simple gameplay, there was a heck of alot of coding to do and wow, it was still pushing at the borders of my capacity to get it done!

BUT I did it!

It's missing two or three features (farming for cash, looting farms, spending cash to heal wounds) I'd like to put in, but would just round it out and aren't necessary for it to be complete. I'll aim at these in future.

One thing I really like is the guest button, because anyone can just hit it and be playing straight away! You can just try the game before commiting to figuring out user names and passwords and all that. And trying games is what it's all about! :)

It'd be really great to get a few people from indie resource playing in the first 14 day fight cycle! See you there! :)

Fight Cycle
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
Jackolantern

Re: Fight Cycle

Post by Jackolantern »

Very cool! Glad to see a released game :) I played for a few minutes as a guest, and will register an account after a bit and come back to play seriously.

Quick question: Once you start a fight and you see the results text, is the fight over? I couldn't quickly and easily see an over-view of the fight, like...did I win or lose? Did I knock them out? What am I supposed to do now? I saw the "Start another fight button", and just clicked that. I think just a bit more instructional text after a fight as to what to do next and what is going on could really help out the "at-a-glance playability".

And yeah, I totally agree about being surprised at how much code even a simple game is. I am currently working with ImpactJS, and after making a successful Pong game with it I am scaling up to do a 8-bit style Breakout clone with power-ups. Breakout is considered a pretty simple game, and yet it is taking a lot of advanced planning and will take a lot of code to make it what I want it to be with even a bare-minimum of polish lol. So congratulations again on getting a game released (I won't say "completed" because all that means is that we have moved on, since a game is never "completed" for a game developer haha!)! 8-) 8-)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Thanks, Jack! Yeah, the fight is over. The fight result is to the left of the 'pick another fight', just on the left of the character sprite (it'll be blue text if you won). I guess the other button over shadows that. Perhaps I'll render a graphic for winning and losing, slightly larger, so as to stand out against the 'pick another fight' button. Good luck on the break out code! I remember playing one of those on the commodore 64 - it was pretty trippy, with these weird floating heads and other strange stuff going on!

edit: There, made the win/lose notification a graphical one that's a bigger font and taller than the other buttons!
espe

Post by espe »

Image clicked me thru 100er skill 8-)

Lets see what happens in the next nine days.
Skill: 200 / 1000
Skill: 300 / 1000
Skill: 400 / 1000
Skill: 500 / 1000
Skill: 600 / 1000
Skill: 700 / 1000
Skill: 800 / 1000
Skill: 900 / 1000
Skill: 1000 / 1000
Glorypoints here and there.

What next features are you planning?

I think there is some NPC missing, who takes your hand (if you want to, otherwise smack his face ofc) to show u the hard circle-life. He will help you to get a job or something where you get daylie money for buying items/"fair" weapons or new dresses, while searching for an training-team to envolve your fighting-style-skills like boxing, freestyle, thai...
:D dont hurt me have fun with your future battlescript :geek:
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Thanks espe!
(if you want to, otherwise smack his face ofc)
Heh, I like that as a tutorial option!

Yeah, I had in mind an earning system, to help pay for healing and maybe a weapons system as well (I have a few ideas). Well see if we can get a few people on board.

Ps. Looks like your gunna be hard to catch up with in the game!
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

I'm over 200 skill, now! hehe! Gaining victory points!
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Nice, it is good to see a game up and running from a community member. I tried it briefly here at work, and I can see why it would get addicting.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Thanks, Sharlenwar, that's really complimentary! :D
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Back to login, made an account as well.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
espe

Post by espe »

Im not sure, but after wasting some of my chances to get VP while fighting against a stronger Blake, i switched my fighting enemies to "any skilllevel". I found a wild Blake there and got a VP after winning. Now Im exhausted, meeted Blake again and didnt get a VP after winning.

VP chances left, check.
Won agains Mr.B, check.

So is it because im exhausted? Will watch it tomorrow again.

Return to “Project Showoff Tier II”