Cubeway to Heaven

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.

Which camera will be better

Poll ended at Wed May 23, 2012 11:55 am

Total votes: 0

lucius

Cubeway to Heaven

Post by lucius »

Hi!

I would like to introduce game that my friend and i are working on. It is something like a learning project for us. Since we are fairly new to unity3d (been working with it for a month now, but this is our first attempt to make a real game). We had a lot of ideas at the beginning from platformer to fps but we ended up with a puzzle game.

In this game you jump your cubeway up and you must solve puzzles along the way. For now we only have three levels:

Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:

For now we only have simple gameplay, also you cant die. But we are making progress everyday.

We would appreciate your feedback. Also there is one thing: we cant decide on the camera. I want first person but my friend wants third person. Which is do you think is better for this game?

And here is the game:

http://www.mediafire.com/?grhb7jwntmuo2zd

P.S: We would like if you give us your opinions and ideas for the gameplay elements for Cubeway to heaven. We´ve got some in mind already but it´s not enough.
Foofighter

Re: Cubeway to Heaven

Post by Foofighter »

looks good to me , later on i will test it but now iam still at work.

Why dont you make an ingame option for switchig between fps and 3ps.. i know its much more work to to but surely the best thing if u 2 cant find another way.

Some thoughts..
+invisible ways to reach another point
+maybe some teleporation in chamber where u also need to solve a quiz in time or something bad happens
+maybe u dont die but instead going to be teleportet into hell where hell is a place full of very hard quizes^^

hope i could help
lucius

Post by lucius »

Thanks for your ideas. Once you test it out, i hope you will give some feedback. Anyway, that ingame option for switching between fps and 3ps is interesting (will keep that as a plan B, for now we want users here and on unity3d forum to vote for the best camera). Also i like some of those thoughts.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Very kewl!
Foofighter

Post by Foofighter »

just tryt it out:

+mouse sensivity too high cant change that ingame anymore
+movement way too slow
+its not very much fun to jump up those cubes(too long jump ways and it takes way too much time - it would only make sense if the jumping up was somehow a competition like there are big space beetween the blocks and there are a few different jump ways..), u need more movement in the game and more speed

hope u dont take my criticism too hard..

EDIT: i take another thought on this and what it reminded me on was this CSS jump maps, maybe u get some ideas out of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5sLOOrK9E
Last edited by Foofighter on Wed May 16, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Looks great so far...if your starting out, maybe the FPS might be a better route, then you can do what Foofighter suggested and give the option of FPS or 3rd, and include the switching in an update or on a different version...always start small and work up. Don't try to do what you want in the beginning. EVE Online went that route. They started small, graphics horrible, and worked their way up to what they have now... :) IMHO...

Shihonoryu

Post by Shihonoryu »

Can i ask how you guys are collaborating?
lucius

Post by lucius »

Foofighter: Dont worry, i like criticism. It shows me what can i do better. About that mouse sensitivity, i already have 3 complaints about that and thanks for that link, will have a look at it.

Shihonoryu: We live near each other, i am programmer and my friend makes all the models and level design.
Shihonoryu

Post by Shihonoryu »

Ah okay!, my friend lives near me too, but we both program :P so ive been trying to figuire out a better system then dropbox.

COol looking game, im defonitly following it. ANd Unity is the way to go!
lucius

Post by lucius »

We have a new version:

http://www.mediafire.com/?qpc82wu692y2ief

If you find any bugs let us know. Also we would still like to hear your ideas on how to improve gameplay(what could we add, what should we get rid of etc.)

Changes:

changed mouse sensitivity
new level
when you press left mouse button in the fourth level you can pull the cubes out
added FPS counter (We will be very happy if you can provide fps readings from each level)
new shader and improved graphics in the new level

Plans:

Checkpoint system (So you dont need to restart the whole game)

P.S: Shihonoryu what language do you use for programming in unity?

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”