character creator-help

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
aduss

character creator-help

Post by aduss »

I would like to ask if is possible to do character creator- images will be saved in layers(it should be like avatar, members can choose which hair, eyes,skin they want) and then it will be insert into database.. Can you help me? Please :)
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: character creator-help

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I always set up div tags in the shape of a body then set the div background as the body part image. It pulled from the database the image saved.
aduss

Post by aduss »

Can you gime me example, please? I don't know if I understand. Thanks ;)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I think you probably just need to learn about absolutely positioned divs. This allows you to place the image pieces of your characters (like hair, helmets, mustaches, etc.) into divs, and then position them how you want. That is how you could allow players to change their hair, facial hair, swap out heads, etc., and then still have it look like one solid character image.

It isn't very complex. Rather, it is just a lot of work to get all of the images made, get all of the CSS "top" and "left" positions exactly right no matter which piece they are choosing, etc.

EDIT: Getting another tutorial. That one is not so good.

EDIT2: Updated to a much better article. Ignore the note at the top that it is outdated. They are just referring to their own documentation. The content is still current and fine. Also, there is a lot of extra information in that documentation page. I really just linked it for the basic positioning info, and particularly for the absolute positioning segment.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Tutorials”