Sprite Sheets

A topic built around all the best posts and information from the site. It includes informative posts, links to resources, tips, tricks, ect... Do not post here unless it will become a resource based post.
OldRod

Re: Sprite Sheets

Post by OldRod »

Those are pretty cool. What are the restrictions on using them outside of RPGMaker?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I am not sure, everyone should check on the resource before using it. Just posting the links :)
Ark

Post by Ark »

i've read on other forums that's it's forbidden to use the rpg maker sprites in other software that isn't rpgmaker. But who cares 8-)
Orgullo Catracho
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

You would care if you used them in a game that ended up being a million-seller and they sued you for all your profits :lol:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

That is only for the art that is in the original release. Many people have released a ton of RPG maker art that is free to use.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I have had a hard time actually finding the license (likely because it is only provided once you buy RPGMaker, and I of course would not buy it just to read the license lol). Some people claim you cannot use it outside of RPGMaker, but then others do have a convincing argument that you could. They say that because RPGMaker is designed to allow you to sell your created RPGs, that they actually have a permissive license (and you can verify on the FAQ on the official site that you can sell the games you make with RPGMaker). Sure, they may say something about having to actually use RPGMaker, but what constitutes "using it"? I could make an HTML5 game, but use RPGMaker to line-up backgrounds and then import them as a large image. Have I "used" RPGMaker? In the end, this would be a hard thing to enforce unless they go into crazy detail explaining what "using RPGMaker" entails. In the end, they very well may just allow you to use the official art in your game. I have come across a couple of small indie commercial games that have used it, although I can't remember their names because they were linked to me in a discussion much like this.

However, like Halls said, most of the community art work is released with an open license, and really has nothing to do with RPGMaker, technically. If someone did actually want to use the original RPGMaker art, it would be best to just contact the company first and clarify it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Resources”