Battle of the Universe

Have a project in the works but not much media? How about an idea you are turning into a project? Maybe a game design document you want to start with. This is the place.
Foofighter

Battle of the Universe

Post by Foofighter »

Hi guys,

At first i will give you guys a short intro how i come to do this,
the idea for my Project started a few yours ago, it was 2005. At this time, i played a lot of Browserbased MMORPGs and my favourite was Galaxywars, it was the first big Browsergame in german- speaking area.
I made a few calculators in VB for the Game but never came really to Web developing although it was the one thing i wanted the most at the time. Instead i bought a PHP book, i thought the motivation will come when i have the book but this wasnt the case...
A few years later, about 2 month ago from now, i startet to get bored for playing shooters as my only free time activity besides fitness training. Also my work as Valve Designer doesnt provide the interlectuall load that i need to feel good. So i made a list of things which i can do in my free time that will satisfy me - one of the things on the list was the PHP book that i still had after these years.. and so i startet and since this day iam a little addicted to progamming :) . Before this day i had no further experience with web languages but my book and a few tutorials, furthermore this amazing community helped to get me into it very fast.

My first idea for my game was to make a clone of that game i played 7years ago, but as i was going deeper and deeper in the topic of browsergame development i changed my mind and i knew a clone wouldnt satisfy me.

On the 12 of February i started to write the Game concept.
Game- Concept:
#Space based MMORPG
#Game should be as simple as possible, not too complicated features
#no clone of any kind
#new features that are missing in similar games
#ingame stuff should be as much realistic as possible without losing the sci fi flair
#one can build up a planet and attack others or can act as a trader and build more defense

Game- Features
#3 ressources
#make Buildings
#do researches
#build ships and defense
#trade ships and ressources
#and a few more

#Login and register is working
#overview site so far finished
#ship build script near finished without time delay of the ships built
#highscore so far finished
#buildings script works too but without JS ticker only normal time ticker(iam not into JS to do this right atm so think i will make all time regarding things without JS at first.

Iam working alone on the Project atm but i think i will need someone for grafics.
Here are some Screensshots of what i made so far, as you will notice atm the whole game is in german only but i will add english lang too in time.

Index

Overview1
Overview2
Overview3
Ship building

I will keep you informed from time to time how iam coming along with my Project, now feel free to comment.

If anyone wanna take a look, here is a link to the game forum:
http://board.battleoftheuniverse.eu/

greetz
Foo
Nexus

Re: Battle of the Universe

Post by Nexus »

Looking pretty good!
Foofighter

Post by Foofighter »

Hi guys,
there hasnt been soo much of a progress since the first post here cause i concentrated on Tutorials to get the necessary knowledge for further Game programming. :)

Progress:
#included a points feature and a highscore feature in the game
#completed the Techtree
#made the first descriptions for ships and buildings
#included a settings script
#optimized the register script
# added a list with planet names, so every new user gets a "real" planetname from that list(of course changeable)
#added a lost pw script
#improved the HTML code

Furthermore i made the first pic for the game, i found also a guy for the grafics and hes also doing well so far.

Here a cut of his first ship design, special thanks to Reikhard:

regards
Foo
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Looking good, and nice concept sketch! :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Looks great, and as Jack said, nice sketch!!

Return to “Project Showoff Tier I”