Where did you guys start?

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
mattykins

Where did you guys start?

Post by mattykins »

I've been learning some C# and BASIC, hoping to eventually get into game developement. However i'm facing one, major problem.

I don't know where to start! haha

I've seen Hallsofvalhallas c# tutorials and i understand those. I've also seen some BASIC tutorials on youtube etc, but i dont know where to go from there.
If my highschool offered a programming class i would most definantly have taken it by now, but sadly, they don't offer that class. So i'm lost as to where i should start learning c#.

So i guess what i'm asking is, where did you guys start learning c#?
And do you have any tips for how i should go about learning c#?
Thanks in advanced!
~Matt
Jackolantern

Re: Where did you guys start?

Post by Jackolantern »

I personally prefer tech books versus online tutorials since they form a constant plan from beginner to usually advanced-beginner or intermediate. Of course, you actually have to spend a lot of time in the IDE while reading a book, or you will close it and realize you still don't know how to use the language lol. If money is an issue, here is a list to some free ebooks legally available online (aka not piracy). If money is not an issue, one of the best C# books that I know of that also teaches basic programming material is Wrox Beginning Visual C# 2010. If money is kind of a problem, get a used copy of the 2008 version of the same book (I think they have copies up for about $8). There is no problem with learning C# 2008, and then using a bit of online tutorials to get up to speed on the 2010 additions.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

Thans so much! :) I will definantly check out the free e-books, then probably purchase one of the books you mentioned at a later date.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Now if you get a decent handle on C# first, then I would actually suggest a different book: Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform. It definitely assumes a bit of programming experience, but it is basically a college C# course in a book, that not only shows you the hows, but the whys, and dives really deep into the .NET platform itself. It is a must read for every C# developer once they get the basics down!
mattykins

Post by mattykins »

Sounds good :) I picked up the free programmer's heaven C# school e book and started reading it. I can see how reading it, while playing with the code in the IDE helps a lot. I've already started learning a few things from it.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Awesome :)

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”