Request: .net/XNA multiplayer tutorials

Post all your tuts or request for tuts here.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Request: .net/XNA multiplayer tutorials

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Anyone know some good tutorials for XNA multiplayer? Even the most basic client server type connections?
Chris

Re: Request: .net/XNA multiplayer tutorials

Post by Chris »

There are loads of resources on the MSDN website. Found this blog post that might be of interest:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/xna/archive/200 ... ments.aspx
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

XNA multiplayer tutorials are dicey. This is because most of them take the easy way and go Xbox/Windows Live. We don't want that typically, because that is only up to (I believe) 16-player sessions, lobby-based, and every player must have a gold membership. Of course, if you are developing for the PC, you can use any networking ability you want to (even WCF if for some reason that was useful). But it is really hard to find raw- or managed-socket XNA multiplayer tutorials. I am yet to find any good ones. On the plus side, if you can go back and find Managed DirectX multiplayer tutorials from before XNA's release, a lot of the methods there would be applicable today with just a few modifications.

EDIT: Or, if you learn a little bit about the Winsock library, know how to read C++, and know C# sockets in non-game usage, basically any C++ multiplayer tutorials will all use the same techniques.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Thanks for the tips!

I am currently going through 3d buzz XNA tuts. They are dated but still work fine.

Return to “Tutorials”