TradingSlots.com - Online Item Bartering

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Ryan

TradingSlots.com - Online Item Bartering

Post by Ryan »

Hello guys,

Recently, a friend of mine and I finished developing our very first version of a site called TradingSlots.com (http://www.tradingslots.com). This site allows users to create an account with 5 free inventory "slots", in which they can upload their items into. Users can trade their own items or money for other users' items through a trading interface. Our belief is that money should not be the only thing of value in the world, and that we should allow users from all around the world to trade their items with one another over a secure online marketplace.

It is free to sign up and get 5 free slots included, but for unlimited slots, among other plans, PayPal premium purchase is required.

The site also looks bad aesthetically, and any graphic design help would be appreciated.

Check it out!
Ryan Chiu
Co-Founder, Part Owner, and President,
TradingSlots.com
(http://www.tradingslots.com)
Chromeozone

Re: TradingSlots.com - Online Item Bartering

Post by Chromeozone »

Ryan wrote: The site also looks bad aesthetically, and any graphic design help would be appreciated.

Your releasing a website like this? my first impressions were OMG and closed the site.

Sorry.

But overall if you get a better design, and keep upgrading a service, could go along why :)
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

The site design wasn't that bad in my opinion just the color combinations are a bit strange like the yellow and stuff but overall nice layout.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Chromeozone wrote:
Ryan wrote: The site also looks bad aesthetically, and any graphic design help would be appreciated.

Your releasing a website like this? my first impressions were OMG and closed the site.

Sorry.

But overall if you get a better design, and keep upgrading a service, could go along why :)
Yeah I'm pretty sure that Facebook and YouTube also looked like crap when they were just starting off. I am not offended at all.
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

Thats a nice idea.

Really dont know how you plan on making it safe and trustworthy though. but i am sure you have a plan

appearance does need some work for sure. other than that.
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

i never get on someone for looks, if all sites looked "pretty" or "sleek" then it would become too normal and we would yurn for something else. I sometimes welcome the older looking HTML sites or even just a simple site with less flair.

Interesting idea, keep up the good work.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Minimalism is the look of "web 2.0" anyway. Look at Google, Apple.com, etc. Sites like newgrounds.com are still somewhat representative of what some have called the "web 1.5" look, with graphics, icons, color, flash animation, gradient bars, and everything else oozing out of every orifice of the page (which itself was a knee-jerk, early-2000's reaction to more and more young people getting broadband internet). The over-produced page has gotten a bit played-out in the last few years as the ideas of usability have trumped glitter and sparkles for the sake of itself.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Yeah, but Web 2.0 is dead as well, we`re moving towards web 3.0. no one knows what 3.0 is though haha. Anyway, site design is always a question on what is good and/or bad? Every design has it`s own function I suppose.

But to be honest, the initial design for tradingslots.com didn`t appeal to me that much, but in al fairness, the argument is right about that every site began "ugly" or better yet: stripped.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh, very true! A website that is going to facilitate person-to-person business is going to have to be a mecca of trust, and part of that is going to require looking like a Fortune 500 company's website. Most of my post was merely an unrelated ramble (I have a lot of those) about the fact that "min is still in" when it comes to web design today.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Ok well this isn't good. Your website is based on trading items over the Internet securely with the possibility of using paypal. Ok...

I went to the website, clicked on one of the things and in the URL I put a ' at the end of "id=" and I got a bunch of mysql errors. Ok so this means that I could read through your whole database, takes credit cards, paypal stuff, etc.

I suggest you take this down and redo all of the security and do research on MySQL injection as it is the simplest website hack and your site is vulnerable to it. I don't mean to be mean but only to help you make this more secure.

EDIT: You don't have any protection from HTML entities when someone posts a new item. Someone could easily just take your passwords with this. Seriously, take it down, sell the domain, work on security. When you' mastered that, put it back up.

Return to “WebSite”