Buy my own, or Rent?

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Chromeozone

Buy my own, or Rent?

Post by Chromeozone »

Hello,

Should i buy my own Dedicated Server " Im always at home and i know the advantages and disadvantes of this"
or should i just rent?
SpiritWebb

Re: Buy my own, or Rent?

Post by SpiritWebb »

I rent a VPS...it really depends on your choice...if you want to rent, this is where mine is...they do VPS and dedicated...

Datarealm Internet Services

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

It can be a huge inconvenience to do it yourself with all of the constant security patching, dealing with momentary outages of your internet (serious webhosts have several backup providers), dealing with attacks, etc. Usually my advice is to rent unless you are a professional server administrator and do it for a living.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

Ok, but my team still want to buy there own, we can buy obviously lots of security also Punk Buster..
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You can't buy server security, it is good old-fashioned know-how. There are lists out there with hundreds (in some cases even thousands) of settings and holes that must be plugged up that could let in malicious attacks. When renting, you get the luxury of someone else dealing with that and 24/7 monitoring. I would seriously suggest just renting for the time being, and if your game takes off and you have funds to hire a professional security analyst/server admin, then host it yourself.

Also, I am not 100% sure, but I believe a license for Punkbuster costs several thousand dollars, and is mostly aimed at player-hosted games, not MMORPGs. It is designed to detect players trying to bend packets or alter their client, which of course doesn't really do anything except hamper yourself on an MMORPG.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Xaleph

Post by Xaleph »

Yeah, rent. You can do it yourself, but don`t mind the 2 minute interval hack attempts. Performed mostly by bots, to be honest. Although, even the bots get smarter nowadays. Most bots know of the default configurations and minor leaks. However, if there`s a dedicated person out there going after your home server, you better prepare for the worst. Because, if he`s got a grudge against you for whatever reason, be prepared. Really, be prepared. Because you will go down, and thus, your game.

Return to “WebSite”