Web Community

Got a kewl website or have a website question? Hosting? Servers?
Noctrine

Re: Web Community

Post by Noctrine »

You pay to license Vbul per domain. The same with Invision. You see more PHPbb because its free.

With the immense adoption of PHPBB its security vulnerabilities are more likely to be well known.

I believe that Vbul is a more efficient system, at least from what I have seen the PHPBB permissions system is god awful and probably the single most irritating experience I've ever had on the internet. (And I built my own forums from scratch.)
But in general, what you have to consider when looking at the cost is how scalable is your solution. I regularly see Vbul communities with over 10k active contributing members. That can be hell on a server so how your system handles it is very important. Also Vbul offers professional support (paid) and when you are running a massive community like that (usually a business) likes to know that issues that threaten potential business can be solved quickly at a low cost. (Only like 3k - 10k as opposed to 60k - 100k for having your own IT guy on staff).

Building a community site such as this just requires taking Joomla, PHPBB and looking for a decent plugin and skinning it a bit. Not all that complicated really, and certainly not to the point where it requires any specific knowledge outside of reading tutorials and following them.

Also I can't completely agree with you Jack. While I can see the benefit of the Classes on Computing I will say that every person who I have seen that wanted to wait till classes to learn how to program usually can't stand it. All of the brilliant programmers I know are self motivated, and a good deal of them hate classes in general themselves. But its kind of a, to each its own thing.

Vbul is worth it if you have enterprise needs and low domains. (180 per domain to buy it, includes 1 year of 'support'). Which is certainly favorable compared to building your own forum. For example, to hire me for 40 hours costs 600 dollars, I built the forum for Indiepoint from scratch, I know I have put in more than 12 hours working on it so far and it still isn't a quarter of the forum that Vbul is.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Noctrine wrote:Also I can't completely agree with you Jack. While I can see the benefit of the Classes on Computing I will say that every person who I have seen that wanted to wait till classes to learn how to program usually can't stand it. All of the brilliant programmers I know are self motivated, and a good deal of them hate classes in general themselves. But its kind of a, to each its own thing
You can learn to program on your own, but supplementing that with classes can be extremely valuable. Like I said, you can get all that info yourself if you know what you are looking for. But it is actually the opposite for me. Most of the brilliant programmers I know learned to program on their own from a young age, but then went to classes later in college to "get their card stamped" so they could do it as a career. However, they learned a great deal about software design while they were there.

But if you mean people who had no exposure to programming until college, I only know one person who did that, and they did not like it, so I can agree with you there. Typically, people who program love to program as a hobby and do it long before it is their profession.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

Joomla! = easy + lots of features & Free!

There are numerous extensions you can download (90% are free) and use on it.

Its also very easy to set up if you know how to ;) . If you don't then just google it, it is the most widely used CMS in the world.

There are also a lot of forum extensions as well, such as agora, what I prefer.

The Joomla! community is also very active so if you've got a question, just ask.

Pax.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

I can agree with the learning about software design though. Atleast in the learning whats the best practice for application and what not, I've met very few people who were self motivated enough to research design methodology.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
The fix

Post by The fix »

Now having a background in coding, would you recommend Joomla, wordpress, or something else?

I suppose I could just write it all in Vim or Eclipse, but I thought it might be nice to use something like Joomla to build a website. I suppose there is also software that I could purchase that would help do the trick.

What is your recommendation?

NOTE: DO NOT MIND PAYING, AND DO NOT NEED HOSTING JUST WANT SOME TOOLS
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Please do not necro post, particularly in a mostly unrelated topic.
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

i dunno how it is seen as an unrelated topic tbh jack,

by the looks of it the fix has come back after learning some stuff and is just relating back to his origional post.

fair nuff was a dead post lol... but tbh is still on topic.

tbh get a phpbb forum and learn how to mod that. is what i done and i learnt alot from it. is farly easy to add new pages in (which also incorperates the whole system) rather than using various plugins to achive the same thing.
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

lol, sorry, I was actually looking at the top of this page, which was actually a derailment, when it looked off-topic.

Return to “WebSite”