Adventures in ASP.NET

C++, C#, Java, PHP, ect...
Baseball435

Re: Adventures in ASP.NET

Post by Baseball435 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:also if you web server is linux you cannot use asp.net. Like all my hosting is done from a linux server so it keeps me from going very far with asp.net other than what I do at work.
Ohh, well if you could use asp.net would you?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

PHP users sometimes have a bit better time using ASP.NET MVC since it more closely resembles the development model of PHP, instead of the web form model used by classic ASP.NET.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

the integration of ASP.Net and VB.NET can make some very nifty things. I do not think it has truly been explored enough in the game world to see its full potential.
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Ohh ok yeah I'm just going to stick with php for now
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:the integration of ASP.Net and VB.NET can make some very nifty things. I do not think it has truly been explored enough in the game world to see its full potential.
Definitely. It is an incredibly powerful platform for web applications. I am still exploring it right now, but I plan to use it in a couple of projects (including the PBBG builder). One nice thing is that ASP.NET applications can natively call any other .NET applications on the web server and they can share data as easily as two .NET desktop applications could. This opens up a lot of possibilities when you start to think about users uploading files to be passed to a .NET service on the web server for processing, and then receiving those processed files back. Or, it can be exciting all of the networking prowess of C# being there for the taking in Silverlight, as opposed to the clunky, primitive networking of Flash/ActionScript.

Another neat part of ASP.NET is how easily portions of C# code or even custom ASP.NET Server Controls can be distributed. If you or I worked on a game framework for ASP.NET or ASP.NET MVC, any interface or server elements could be shared with the community much more easily than PHP resources.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Coding”