Psuedo 3d

Talk about game designs and what goes behind designing games.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Psuedo 3d

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I use to love playing eye of the beholder style games. It was some of the first representation of 3d still using 2d. I found a game being made right now that is in that style but I was thinking of making a web browser multiplayer version. Here are some sample shots of the style

quick hack

dungeon hack

i could do it using like php where as you move the database loads the image where you are, it would be push direction to move and still images instead of things moving in real time. I can still see it being fun.

you could also use flash or unity to do this but I would want to keep it simple.

Thoughts? Comments?
Ravinos

Re: Psuedo 3d

Post by Ravinos »

Bwahahahahahhaha I love it!. Retro all the way!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I remember those kinds of games. Wasn't the original Neverwinter Nights like that? I remember it did have graphics, and I think it looked like Eye of the Beholder.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I didnt know that NWN began like that. Awesome.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yep, NWN is quite old, having started on AOL Games service I think around 1991. It is considered to be truly the first graphical MMO ever. It was somewhat like a MUD, but you had a graphical representation of the world to walk around in like Eye of the Beholder. Meridian 59 is considered the first graphical MMO as we know it, where the graphics were not just pictures, so M59 is typically considered the first even though it was really NWN.

As far as this game, I am surprised it just hit me that the character graphics are stolen from WoW. That is a human male character from WoW, probably taken from a screenshot and added into the game. I hope they don't get in legal trouble for that.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

haha your right! I knew i recognized the image from somewhere.

Forgotten Realms has had alot of old games made from it. Interesting to know how old.
Ravinos

Post by Ravinos »

Wow....WoW....I just realized where those graphics came from.

I remember how awesome M59 was back then. A year later UO came out and blew me away lol
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Ravinos wrote:Wow....WoW....I just realized where those graphics came from.

I remember how awesome M59 was back then. A year later UO came out and blew me away lol
Honestly, the dev team behind M59 were extremely worried about the future of their game when UO was coming out. They saw everything that was possible in UO and figured they had been out done. They had, but oddly enough, their server populations were only hit by maybe 5% they said. Then EQ was on the horizon a year and a half later. They figured this would be no problem since it was the same "diku" styled gameplay they were already offering, and they had 3 years of time on EQ. When EQ hit, it wiped them out, claiming almost 90% of their remaining community, and forced 3DO to close shop on them. I guess you never know what the future holds in the game industry, particularly the online segment.
ZeroComp

Post by ZeroComp »

python could make something similar I might try it :)
Coding-PHP, Javascript, C++, HTML, mySQL
Modeling/Art-Blender, GIMP
Games-Unity, Game Maker 8
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

yeah this would do really good now. Its quick and simple with no download.

Return to “Game Design”