Flying game.

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
kyraneth

Re: Flying game.

Post by kyraneth »

thank you for all your help!

I believe the editor for irrlicht was irredit? i looked at this engine for a while but than ran away because of C++ :D good job on getting your spacecraft to fly in irrlicht. I have made a list of final contenders, and will download demos to try and implement some flying stuff. the engines are:

Dx studio
Unity
neo axis
gamr maker
3d rad

I will let you know how the testing goes, and i'm still open for suggestions :D
Just FYI, the post is above, so stop looking down here and do something useful.

king noob. Nice.
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Wat engine did you finally decide on Kyraneth?
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
kyraneth

Post by kyraneth »

Ah i forgot to post some updates.

well here's what i have come to so far:

Dx studio: the license is just too pricey if you want multiplayer, and multiplayer is the core of game. Not too much leveling or complexities, just flying planes and shooting each other :D

Unity: from what i have seen on MANY forums, net play can be a real pain to implement. I haven't tried it tho, so i'll give it the benefit of doubt.

Game maker: very basic and ugly :D i knew that when i first tried it, i thought i could trade beauty for ease of use, but my artist heart was repulsed :D

i also tried shiva: Amazing engine, would have used it right away of the server didn't cost 1400 euros.

3d rad: it is specifically suited for simulations, and implementing flying is a breeze + it can compile to browser, but sadly, no interactive multiplayer support :(

So i will probably go with neo axis, i have yet to test it thoroughly, but it seems to suit my needs, and there have been many implementations of planes and helis already. I am still open for suggestions tho, and if there is an engine i should see, please tell me :D

king noob. Nice.
Noctrine

Post by Noctrine »

Go with Unity, most of your development work will be very easy and you can spend your time building the network stuff your way.

Neoaxis is nice, but bothering with Ogre can be... well a bother. Especially from an artistic standpoint. Maybe Unity jaded me, but there is just something about being able to just drop a blender file in and have it work.
Jesse Dorsey
ProjectANI - Lead Developer Person
http://about.me/jessedorsey
kyraneth

Post by kyraneth »

Thank you for the suggestion, i will keep it in mind :D But what i want to see is a new engine that finally breaks away from the old generation, i am really getting bored by these ones :( each one has some things than have to be worked around, and that annoys me :D

king noob. Nice.

Return to “3d Engines”