MonoGame

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

MonoGame

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Anyone used MonoGame or currently use it? Any comments suggestions?
Jackolantern

Re: MonoGame

Post by Jackolantern »

Yes, I have used it. I was really turned-off by how "frankenstein" the tools were at the time. You had to have just the right version of VS, everything had to be installed just right, and every time you started a new project, you would have to start another pure XNA project with all of your assets to send them through the pipeline, and then extract them from that project and move them to the MonoGame project. There were a few other things like this as well.

However, all of these things they were supposedly working hard on fixing, and a ton of big-name games have been made with it, so perhaps they have sorted it out, or it is worth the effort if they haven't.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I never tried MonoGame, but any Mono based solution stink for me. I tried multiple times (with many many different versions of Mono) to run things on Linux and had always very poor stability and performances. For me Mono is a no go. But if you get better results let me know.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I could be wrong, but I am not sure if MonoGame is actually any relation to the larger Mono Project.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Beside the name which would tell me so, how would it work outside of windows if it's not for mono under?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I'm sorry, you are probably right. I am thinking of Xamarin, which is a commercial extension project to MonoGame. Xamarin runs MonoGame projects on iOS, Android, etc., and does not run on the Mono runtime.

In fact, all my comments here have been about Xamarin. I have not used MonoGame by itself.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

I'm far from being sure Xamarin do not share the same stuff under as Mono... as it's the same people which developed Mono which are building Xamarin... At least so it look like. So for me they took the same infrastructure / libs and made some custom work on it to make it for mobile.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

thanks for all the comments here. They helped a ton.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

a_bertrand wrote:I'm far from being sure Xamarin do not share the same stuff under as Mono... as it's the same people which developed Mono which are building Xamarin... At least so it look like. So for me they took the same infrastructure / libs and made some custom work on it to make it for mobile.
They likely leverage the same code, but the runtime is not the same, since there is no Mono runtime for iOS or Android. And the runtime is what determines stability, performance, and the other things you have cited as issues with Mono.

Return to “3d Engines”