DBPro Bonanza

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
Sakar

Re: DBPro Bonanza

Post by Sakar »

I figured out how to get DBPro ahead of time so I don't need to wait for DGS. Just download the Demo, activate it, then download the latest update and you're all set! I also recommend CodeSurge as the IDE, it's the most stable and feature rich one I've tried.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

nice thanks!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sakar wrote:That first one is :shock:. I wish his screen capture software recorded the videos better though, I really want to see how good it runs.
If you look in the upper-left of his screen, he has a FPS counter running that is staying around 30 FPS. Quite impressive, as that video basically looks like an XBox 360 game.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

I Just ordered it. I'm not missing out! :P and 30 FPS Isn't too bad, I have a feeling he wasn't being careful with poly's either because that character did look over polyed in some places. Great looking none the less.
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Last Known Hero wrote:I Just ordered it. I'm not missing out! :P and 30 FPS Isn't too bad, I have a feeling he wasn't being careful with poly's either because that character did look over polyed in some places. Great looking none the less.
I am not 100% sure that the samurai demo is meant to be a fully-functional game. Maybe it is just a tech demo to show FPS with nice looking models. 30 FPS in DBPro (which has been ripped on many times in the past for its performance) is amazing and very fast for those types of models. Its not 60, but 30 FPS is great and actually a decent amount higher than the current trend of "amazing looking but low FPS" games coming out on next-gen consoles these days.
dave3460

Post by dave3460 »

So is 30 fps ok for a 2 d browser i prefer theses to the new 3d ones .
I know a lot of people will call me sad but i know what i like
and good to see you back Jack
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

well 2d browser games don't really have fps. FPS is frames per second and since there are no frames being drawn other than the first one it is not applicable there.
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

Jackolantern wrote:
Last Known Hero wrote:I Just ordered it. I'm not missing out! :P and 30 FPS Isn't too bad, I have a feeling he wasn't being careful with poly's either because that character did look over polyed in some places. Great looking none the less.
I am not 100% sure that the samurai demo is meant to be a fully-functional game. Maybe it is just a tech demo to show FPS with nice looking models. 30 FPS in DBPro (which has been ripped on many times in the past for its performance) is amazing and very fast for those types of models. Its not 60, but 30 FPS is great and actually a decent amount higher than the current trend of "amazing looking but low FPS" games coming out on next-gen consoles these days.
That is pretty promising in my opinion. If it was a tech demo that means you can substantially lower the polys and thus get some higher FPS. And sorry to argue this but the next-gen consoles are getting pretty rediculous FPS (Sony's PS3 atleast).
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
dave3460

Post by dave3460 »

ooh well thats that then dont need this one
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Well, some browser-based games have FPS. Runescape and pretty much any Flash game does (basically anything with animation; not PHP games, though). However, DBPro does not relate to web game development.
Last Known Hero wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:
That is pretty promising in my opinion. If it was a tech demo that means you can substantially lower the polys and thus get some higher FPS. And sorry to argue this but the next-gen consoles are getting pretty rediculous FPS (Sony's PS3 atleast).
They can, but I have been getting frustrated with some of the next-gen games that are pushing too many polies and getting crap frame rates. Heavenly Sword is one that I can think of. It ran about 14 FPS. Resident Evil 5 was also well under 30 FPS. Two Worlds on the 360 must have been running under 10 FPS, and that is without much screen clutter. I know there are many more I have seen, but these are a few I can think of off-hand. HS and Two Worlds are the 2 worst I have seen in a while, though.

I guess it is just about the game optimization. I have seen some games that are very impressive looking with tons of polies running 50+ FPS on both systems, and then another game that does not even look as technical is running under 20 FPS. I just think it is kind of frustrating that game studios are looking at that and thinking "Yep, it is ready to ship". At least on the PC you can upgrade your system.

Return to “3d Engines”