Coppercube 3D browser engine

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...

Re: Coppercube 3D browser engine

Postby a_bertrand » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:59 pm

I do know quiet well JS and did a lot with it too, but you cannot compare anywhere the debugging and the development of JS code with C# or Java. Also, .NET assemblies can be obfuscated and nearly completely blocked from decompiling with some special tools (yes I do have some) and therefore even local variables can be handled in such a way that you cannot simply use live memory scanners to find the values and change them live. JS on the other side, even if you obfuscate it and minimize it, is pretty much still all sent to the client and there is even tools to help de-obfuscate js code. Also, you may all the time use an embedded JS debugger as IE and Chrome have by default, and let you put breakpoints and change values live. No need to have external tools nothing.

Beside those security issues, I also find JS pretty much an hack language but nothing nice, and not something I like to use. So if I could avoid that, that would be good.

Finally, as much my browser can be buggy, I can tell you from my own experience that browser performances are generally not really good, and if you already have issues yourself, what the average user will have? He / she may very well get such bad experience that they will not come back. That is one of the main reason why I don't believe all those cool tech are currently used (beside browsers compatibility and the fact it runs only partially on some browsers).

Yet everyone is free to use the tools / tech they feel better. Personally I will stay away from all that for the time being. We had VRML quiet a few years ago, it was already in the browser but it died... maybe Web GL will be the same story, maybe not. But I will wait to see how it goes and if they do something to improve really the development and security both of the user and the developer.

Edit: tried on another PC on windows 8. Firefox here didn't crashed, but wasn't really fluid either, had some hangs at times. IE 10 doesn't work. Chrome works and just a bit more fluid. Still not something you would want for a real game in my opinion. Is that a tech demo? Well doesn't work all that well sorry.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
a_bertrand
New Worlds Engine creator

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Obfuscating code is not security. All VM languages can have their source retrieved if someone wants it that badly, and basically all obfuscation has been broken at one time or another. This is because the JITer has to be able to understand it, therefore anyone intimately familiar with the compiler/VM can unscramble it.

The only real security is server-side. In fact, the openness of Javascript, C#, Java and others could possibly lend to better security since devs know the source is out there and they keep the security where it belongs, and don't trust the client.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 pm

No version of IE is capable of WebGL. ....Sucky Microsoft.....

Remember you are playing a full 3d game through the browser. Got to give some credit :P

But I agree for the most part, a ways to go in many respects.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby a_bertrand » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 am

Of course obfuscating is no security, but it may help in reducing the reverse engineering. Actually decompiling is not only an issue for VM based language like Java (.NET is a bit of a mixed bag here, as it's not really a VM like for Java), it can actually be performed on C/C++ code as well with discreet results too.

Yet for me there is a huge difference between delivering my full sources to everyone, to something compiled which requires yet a bit more skills to dig into.

At the end of the day, nothing is fully secure, and can always be reverse-engineered. See how much WoW have been hacked / exploited, even if they do invest a lot to avoid it. Even if it's not from software you will always find those gold farm companies which will create their business on your back. But that doesn't mean I should make their life easy and therefore spoil the fun of the real players.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
a_bertrand
New Worlds Engine creator

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:14 am

hehe agreed
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to 3d Engines