FPS X10?

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...

Re: FPS X10?

Postby KingScar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:41 pm

True. Not to mention the fact that it's much easier to learn Javascript than Unreal's own scripting language.
Advanced:Html(XHTML), CSS, Writing
Intermediate: php, MYSQL, Level Design, C++, JavaScript
Beginner:Java, C-Lite, 3D modeling

The difference between me and you:

You: :geek: Me: :ugeek:

KingScar

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:31 pm

I just know I have seen commercial games made in Unity that look about as good as commercial Unreal games.

I will have to see those to believe it ;)

Code: Select all
The Unreal Rendering System

Unreal Engine 3 features a 64-bit color HDR rendering pipeline. The gamma-correct, linear color space renderer provides for immaculate color precision while supporting a wide range of post-processing effects such as motion blur, depth of field, bloom, ambient occlusion and artist-defined materials.

Unreal Engine 3 supports all modern per-pixel lighting and rendering techniques, including normal mapped, parameterized Phong lighting; custom artist-controlled per material lighting models including anisotropic effects; virtual displacement mapping; light attenuation functions; pre-computed shadow masks and directional light maps.

just makes me want to pee my pants

Advanced streaming and LOD system allows huge terrain sizes
Uses a continuous LOD system that transitions seamlessly while moving through the terrain, without any sudden popping.
High-resolution data is streamed in and out of memory, so data is always loaded at the resolution it’s needed. Very distant regions of terrain remain visible and rendered with the highest quality lighting and materials, while occupying only the minimum amount of memory.
Powerful landscape editing tools for realistic environments
With a sweep of your mouse, or using a tablet with pen pressure sensitivity, Landscape’s palette of tool and brush types makes painting and sculpting the terrain a quick and intuitive task.
Advanced thermal and hydraulic erosion brushes use a physical weather simulation to quickly create realistic, weathered looking mountains from smooth hills.
Advanced artist-controlled materials, layers and lighting effects
Unreal’s landscape editor allows the artist to leverage the power of the Unreal Engine 3’s advanced node-based material system to generate unique and optimized shaders.
A multitude of layers can be created within the material, and the artist can then quickly and easily paint individual layers wherever they like on the landscape.
Advanced DirectX 11 features such as tessellation and displacement mapping can be added to terrain layers to add extra detail to the surface of the terrain.

Sorry not trying to be a fanboi but the UDK is truly ahead of anything else. NOW with that said it may not be for every indie. Unity is far easier to use. UDK does have Kismet which is a quite fun Visual scripter.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jackolantern » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:49 pm

The really important sentence in my response was not that one, but a little later: An indie developer probably is not going to be pushing either engine. Indie games tend to be much less graphically intense than AAA commercial games. Major indie games tend to look more like Braid, Fez, Fat Princess, Splosion Man, Grimrock, and others. None of these are going to be pushing either Unreal or Unity to the edge of their capabilities, and all of these were funded, studio indie games. Hobbyist games are going to typically clock in even lower on the graphics scale.

Taking that into consideration, I just can't see why UDK would be worth it. It may be the most powerful engine in the world, but does a lone developer need the most powerful engine? Probably not. At best they won't use its full potential, and at worst that power may bog them down and bring the project to a screeching halt.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:28 pm

very true. Many use it to get the knowledge so they can go work for a commercial project.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jackolantern » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:14 pm

I was going to say something about that, but then I started thinking that Unity is probably being used in 2 - 5x more commercial projects these days than Unreal. Of course, most of them are mobile and web games, so if someone wanted to work in developing AAA titles that will be on the shelves, UDK would be an excellent choice to study.
Jackolantern

Postby KingScar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:17 am

I liek how this topic start about FPSC and ended up being mostly about Unity and UDK lol. Speaking of Unity, if you guys have haven't come across this already i found an AWESOME page for creating an RPG in Unity. It covers almost everything; videos included!

http://www.burgzergarcade.com/hack-slash-rpg-unity3d-game-engine-tutorial

KingScar

Postby Jackolantern » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:12 pm

Yes, that is an awesome one, and is one of the largest, longest tutorial series for Unity out there today. For the truly focused and dedicated, it could be a great tutorial to work off of!
Jackolantern

Postby vitinho444 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:00 pm

KingScar awesome thank you, i followed 3D Buzz tutorials and im working on a small singleplayer FPS but the my dream is a RPG :)

Thank you, and btw nice discussion about UDK and Unity

If i may leave a comment about it, i say Unity is the best for starters. Then if you see you like to make games and you want to do it the badass'er way, use UDK. (It rhymes)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

vitinho444

Postby KingScar » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:57 pm

vitinho444 wrote:KingScar awesome thank you, i followed 3D Buzz tutorials and im working on a small singleplayer FPS but the my dream is a RPG :)

Thank you, and btw nice discussion about UDK and Unity

If i may leave a comment about it, i say Unity is the best for starters. Then if you see you like to make games and you want to do it the badass'er way, use UDK. (It rhymes)

Great! So glad I could help ya out Vitinho. I'd never really worked that much with C# until I started watching and playin around with this tutorial in Unity and it's actually really fun strictly because theirs NO confusion this is definitely one of the better tuts I've ever found. I've made a few small games (text based, 2d and 3d and of course Hall's tut's :D ) but I've always wanted to do an actual fleshed out nice unique RPG as well, maybe we could do something! :)

KingScar

Postby vitinho444 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:30 am

Me neither, i prefer javascript because was the first i ever learned.

About we making something, i would like that, i made some math and it will take 22 days watching this tutorials by watching 2hours per day, but i think i can learn all 273 videos in one week :lol:

So if you want you can add me on msn or skype and we talk better about this :) Afterall this is a FPS X10 post :lol: :lol: :lol:
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

vitinho444

PreviousNext

Return to 3d Engines