FPS X10?

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...

Re: FPS X10?

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Does anyone actually use Boo for Unity? lol
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby vitinho444 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm

In their forum there's a tutorial index i think, but since it's not that famous i dont care about it. Javascript and C# FTW
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

vitinho444

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:43 pm

I know no one really uses it, more just laughing about its inclusion. Even with all of the Python coders out there, Boo is not completely the same thing as Python, and I think few people are familiar with it. Of course, since they have a .NET runtime in the scripting engine, you could probably hack any .NET-compliant language into Unity, so I don't think it took much extra effort to get Boo working in it.
Jackolantern

Postby KingScar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Just out of curiosity Jack, I noticed you said you haven't used much of Unity or Unreal. What type of games do you prefer making? Browser based? 2D? And what language do you usually code in?
Advanced:Html(XHTML), CSS, Writing
Intermediate: php, MYSQL, Level Design, C++, JavaScript
Beginner:Java, C-Lite, 3D modeling

The difference between me and you:

You: :geek: Me: :ugeek:

KingScar

Postby Jackolantern » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 pm

For a while I was working exclusively with PHP/HTML/Javascript (just enough CSS to get things into position. I am no artist lol). Now I have become more interested in making servers for client/server architectures. I have used Java many times in the past, but now I am focusing on its features for usage in server development that I have not used much in the past, such as multithreading and sockets. At the time I have little interest in client development, but would like to try to get something set up with Websockets and fail-overs.

Beyond that, most of my work has been non-game related, really, mostly consisting of web applications, .NET business applications made with C# and others in that vein :)

I have really had little interest in 3D game development, mostly due to issues with art assets (but also since I am not too great on the massive amounts of Calculus needed for 3D programming, although I am hoping that will get remedied in the next year or so). Most of the 3D projects I have worked on slowed to a halt and failed largely due to issues with art assets not being homogeneous due to rotating artists, gigantic bills trying to pay for models, etc.
Jackolantern

Postby vitinho444 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:38 am

Jacko i have the same problem with you, i suck at modelling and animation but i still know how to code, so i do that part, then make some basic models like cubes to identify objects and then when i got the models ready from a freelancer or a friend i change them. Look at minecraft.. Its a cubic world.. No fancy graphics.. i bet i could do all the objects in paint :) Do as i do, make the engine or use Unity or UDK and make your game framework, like scripts and game mechanism. Then replace the models with the real ones :)

I hope i finish my first 3D game. And if it doesnt get popular, i dont care, the only motivation i got now to make games is that im in highschool and the games i make, even if no one plays them they can be showed as a curriculum and experience in the area for future jobs :)

vitinho444

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:19 am

I do not think anyone has realized how well Node will work with Unity. I haven't seen anyone using it yet. Could be a awesome setup.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby KingScar » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:36 pm

vitinho444 wrote:Jacko i have the same problem with you, i suck at modelling and animation but i still know how to code, so i do that part, then make some basic models like cubes to identify objects and then when i got the models ready from a freelancer or a friend i change them. Look at minecraft.. Its a cubic world.. No fancy graphics.. i bet i could do all the objects in paint :) Do as i do, make the engine or use Unity or UDK and make your game framework, like scripts and game mechanism. Then replace the models with the real ones :)

I hope i finish my first 3D game. And if it doesnt get popular, i dont care, the only motivation i got now to make games is that im in highschool and the games i make, even if no one plays them they can be showed as a curriculum and experience in the area for future jobs :)

I'm no prodigy with character modeling myself, but if you need some stuff just to give you a visual idea of how you want something to look. Unity's Assests store as a TON of great models.
Advanced:Html(XHTML), CSS, Writing
Intermediate: php, MYSQL, Level Design, C++, JavaScript
Beginner:Java, C-Lite, 3D modeling

The difference between me and you:

You: :geek: Me: :ugeek:

KingScar

Postby vitinho444 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:19 am

Well.. I would like to have some kind of demo, i downloaded Model Packs from FPS Creator (cracked but wait i will pay if it fits nice of course) but i can't convert from .X to .FBX -.-

In Unity Store they have things that i would like.. but what if they dont work or i can't set them up? ... That's my problem with paying things xD

vitinho444

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:29 pm

The .X model format is one of my biggest problems with the Dark Basic Pro ecosystem (which includes FPSC). It is just a raw DirectX format, but in practice it is extremely rarely used.
Jackolantern

PreviousNext

Return to 3d Engines