HeroEngine

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
vitinho444

HeroEngine

Post by vitinho444 »

Hello guys, im really excited right now because i may found a really nice and strong engine.

Its called HeroEngine and it's a cloud based engine just for Online Development purposes, costs 99$ / year, and sincerely i dont think that's a NOT in the features because if you see the base features it pays off really.

Ok, i created this post just to get your opinion, because for what i read on forum and stuff, this engine is really good for all kinds of developers, there are 2 games that were published using this engine, and some are still being developed, like Elder Scrolls Online (from Skryim creators).

Why am i interested? I saw in their forum's a "nub" asking if it was the right engine for him.
His situation? He knew HTML, few Java, and those languages like Ruby and stuff.
The replies? YES!
There were many replies saying that HeroEngine was the best choice, it offers online support, they got a wiki being updated daily, tutorials comming out, the forums seem active, and in their cloud they offer the tools we need to make the game like world editors and script editors and that stuff..

The price is not that much because i can make easy 20$+ /month by staying 20 minutes / day in the pc so it's ok for me.. But i'm not rich so i would like to know if i can "risk" it. by purchasing the license.

About the online thing, they say the game can be online as soon as we can, because using the cloud technology the game gets published very easily

Here's some description that i found on the website about HeroCloud
HEROENGINE IN THE CLOUD

HeroCloud significantly reduces the cost of developing an online game. For $99 a year, developers and studios gain access to HeroEngine in the cloud. We handle and pay for all hosting and bandwidth during development and when your game goes live. Integrated global billing options through Visa PlaySpan so you can monetize your game from day one. Take advantage of our priority support, including customizable template words. Once live, keep 70% of any game revenues your game makes.

We also offer a lifetime subscription model for $299, for those ready to fully commit to HeroCloud. The lifetime subscription is just what it sounds like, you get access to HeroCloud for an unlimited amount of time.
Here's the website: http://www.heroengine.com

If you don't know this engine, please read the features and tell me what you think about it.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

xcalpro

Re: HeroEngine

Post by xcalpro »

I spent a good part of the past year learning all about HeroEngine. After much anguish learning a whole new way of doing things, I decided that it is still not polished enough for my needs and have decided to go back to using Unity.

If you are planning on creating a typical fantasy MMORPG with all the standard features, then HeroEngine is for you. Just be prepared to do things in an unorthodox manner as HE uses its own terminology and method of processing its proprietary language HSL.
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

well thats kinda my problem..

I never, but never used an engine, well i used unity and UDK and Torque but i dont know how to touch things there.. I just know how to code the systems for myself...

Will it be hard to get into ? Im a quick learner.. just need a good teacher or support.

About the type of game.. they say it goes for all ways, but i was especially trying to develop a MMORPG fantasy yes, and a 3D Version of my current games (its a 2D top down shooter) so it would be a third person shooter or whatever..

About your needs, when was the last time you used it? It can be updated now :)

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

My team managed to get one on the cloud, but the learning curve for HSL is a pain in the a$$. But building the world is amazing and relatively easy, just couldn't get passed the programming

vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

That my problem too.. i never used scripting before, well if you count vbscript on eclipse, i used XD
But cant we "walk-around" the problem by using other examples or not using scripting at all?

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

No, you will have to script. The stuff that they provide in the beginning is for place holding ONLY. Though I do believe you can use their scripts which is limited to just enough, just not art assets.

xcalpro

Post by xcalpro »

One other thing to consider is that HeroEngine's art pipeline only supports 3D Max and Maya, so unless you are using either one of those, you won't be able to get your art into the game. They do plan to add FBX support in the future, but that could be years away.

I was using Hero up until a couple of months ago when I came to this site and they are still using the same version so not much has changed. HeroEngine is designed for professional teams and is not meant for individuals. I am not saying it is not possible to create a game on your own, but it will be extremely difficult and time consuming. MMORPGs are the most difficult games to make even for large professional teams. Unity is much easier to handle than Hero. If you had a hard time with Unity, then your in for a very difficult time with Hero.

They give you some sample games that you can look over their code, but trying to make sense of their scripts is very time consuming and very daunting.
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

When I used HeroEngine last year they said they were working on a Blender importer. Did that ever come about?

I like the HeroEngine itself, and I love the tools. I just wish there were better documentation on how to use the thing, and some better importers.

I keep planning on going back to that engine again one day...
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

me and my friend agreed on beginning by making a concept on Unity, then move out to HeroEngine..
After all it's 99$ / year

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, I think a good deal of people here are actually familiar with HeroCloud/HeroEngine. Some of the people here who were part of the mmorpgmaker.com forum (now defunct) were around when HeroEngine first announced an indie version, and they had a rep enter those forums and talk to us about it.

It is definitely a cool engine. Heck, even though it was highly modded, it is the engine powering Star Wars: The Old Republic. But we have had quite a few members both here and back on mmorpgmaker who bought it and tried to work with it. Most of them said the scripting was highly non-intuitive and difficult to learn. There were also complaints that since the engine was made first and foremost for extremely-funded professional studios that they expect that you have a large team. Things are extremely in-depth and deep, and creating a customized game basically requires a pretty decently-sized team, as it would take one person years to make a game with it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “3d Engines”