HeroEngine

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...

Re: HeroEngine

Postby OldRod » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:58 pm

Speaking of MMORPGMaker.com... The indie game The Repopulation is being made with the Hero Engine. They were frequent regulars on that board and have posted here once in a while too.

So it is possible for an indie team to use this engine and make a game. It's just not easy :)
OldRod

Postby vitinho444 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm

I really would like to start using engines.. But in case of unity, there are not full beginner tutorials.. Their tutorials are incomplete, and youtube ones, are not series.. are just random tutorials ..

Not sure where i begin..
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

vitinho444

Postby OldRod » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:15 pm

vitinho444 wrote:I really would like to start using engines.. But in case of unity, there are not full beginner tutorials.. Their tutorials are incomplete, and youtube ones, are not series.. are just random tutorials ..

Not sure where i begin..

Check out 3dBuzz.com. They have *tons* of tutorials on Unity, including making a game from scratch. Some of the videos are members-only, but a lot of them are free as well.
OldRod

Postby vitinho444 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:43 pm

if its quality garanteed i dont mind paying :) Thanks for the website. It has for UDK also and other subjects, thanks a lot :)

vitinho444

Postby xcalpro » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:14 pm

There are some good Unity tutorials on YouTube, but I found a book that is actually very good: http://www.packtpub.com/unity-3d-game-d ... guide/book

If you prefer book tutorials, then this is a good one for beginners. There are only a handful of Unity books out there and they are all pretty good.
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
xcalpro

Postby vitinho444 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm

actually, i think videos are bettter, while they do the stuff i can see it, and all the middle stages.

But books are good too, thanks a lot, i got work tomorrow :)

vitinho444

Postby tboxx » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Jackolantern wrote:Yeah, I think a good deal of people here are actually familiar with HeroCloud/HeroEngine. Some of the people here who were part of the mmorpgmaker.com forum (now defunct) were around when HeroEngine first announced an indie version, and they had a rep enter those forums and talk to us about it.

It is definitely a cool engine. Heck, even though it was highly modded, it is the engine powering Star Wars: The Old Republic. But we have had quite a few members both here and back on mmorpgmaker who bought it and tried to work with it. Most of them said the scripting was highly non-intuitive and difficult to learn. There were also complaints that since the engine was made first and foremost for extremely-funded professional studios that they expect that you have a large team. Things are extremely in-depth and deep, and creating a customized game basically requires a pretty decently-sized team, as it would take one person years to make a game with it.

What I find confusing, and maybe part of the reason for their lack of success in licensing the engine to major studios, is that a major aspect to middleware is easy of use. I suspect once you understand the engine and use it to make custom tools for your mmo it becomes a huge time saver. It is interesting that Gamebryo was used to create Warhammer (which was created in just 3 years) and DAOC. (both Mythic). Gamebryo was also used to create Skryim and Fallout.
tboxx

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:23 am

what I find confusing, and maybe part of the reason for their lack of success in licensing the engine to major studios,

Are you talking about Hero? They are not having any issues liscensing to large studios...or indies.

The engine side of it may be a simpler process than the days before but the networking side only becomes harder and harder. Hero has a tank of a mmorpg backend along with out of the box web plugin. That is invaluable for such a cheap cost.
4 years is WAAAAY to long for a AAA company to work on the engine. The game itself will be another 3 years. It will all be outdated the moment it is released. Star Wars had over 1 million players within the first couple weeks. It is hard to find an engine that can boast handling that many players out of the box and very costly and time consuming to build one.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to 3d Engines