Effect Games

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Effect Games

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

http://www.effectgames.com/effect/

Effect games have closed down their web game engine and site. Was a kewl engine but you had to run your game on their server and their engine runs on a server and not on a host but thought I would pass the info on.
Jackolantern

Re: Effect Games

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh wow, I was just looking at that engine a couple of weeks ago. Yeah, I didn't like how you had to run your game on their servers, because this exact situation would occur. Really, I think they should retool it to be a downloadable, non-hosted engine, rebrand it and try again, because the results were exceptional, and some of the most complicated HTML5 games I have seen yet.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

agreed and since you get the source you might be able to tool it yourself.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:agreed and since you get the source you might be able to tool it yourself.
Ohh, didn't know you got the source! There could be some be some value there!
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Yeah, you can download it off their main page, it says:
Effect Games wrote: We've also open sourced the entire Effect Games engine, as well as the web IDE. Effect Games, in it's entirety, has been moved to GitHub. It can be forked, or simply downloaded and installed on your own server. Installation instructions are included. Here is the link:

https://github.com/jhuckaby/Effect-Games

The source is MIT licensed, so you may use it in both personal and commercial projects. It includes the complete JavaScript game engine source, as well as the entire EffectGames.com website back-end (written in Perl).

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I don't know if you saw their demo games (I didn't look if they were still up), but this could be very interesting. The engine seemed quite powerful, and the web IDE was pretty slick. The only reason I stayed away from it was because they had to host your games and pumped them full of ads.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

yes I am tempted to get it working for all of us to share. I could host the server and allow everyone to make games on it.

Could be a kewl venture. Could also drive some revenue with ads to the site for prizes and things.

HMMMMMMMMM
court-jus

Post by court-jus »

I had a game running on that engine and I'm really interested in tooling it to be available without the server.

I'll let you know if I succeed.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I am still very interested in this engine. I loved how the games looked (basically like 16/early 32-bit console 2D games), and the IDE looked awesome. Source availability and having complete control over your game was my only issue, and that is now a non-issue since it has been released!

If nothing else, it is probably worth a download while it is still available. Since it looks like a lot of money went into this engine, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets yanked down, retooled, rebranded and rereleased at some point in the near future.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

agreed. I have a server now I might be able to pop it on.

Return to “3d Engines”