3d game engines

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
Last Known Hero

Re: 3d game engines

Post by Last Known Hero »

You can have shaders in the free version, that what the Outlined toon shader is in my screenies, you just can't have post-image effects like depth of field, or certain shaders, it's weird. You also for some reason can't have a shader of the models that have a diffuse map, bump map, spec level map, and spec color map. You can only have 2 maps going at a time.

How is UDK for making MMOs? Haven't heard of any indie MMos from that yet :S
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Who said MMO? This is for all 3d engines.

There is a mmo add-on for UDK though I do not have much info on it.
Last Known Hero

Oops yeah sorry, was just curious cause I thought I heard something from it as well.

For the most part, it is hard to come across a good cheap engine. Unity and Torque have changed teh way freeware is looked at for game developemtn, the only problem being withheld features that you have to pay alot for.
Power3DArt

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Who said MMO? This is for all 3d engines.

There is a mmo add-on for UDK though I do not have much info on it.
I don't believe it is an MMO add-on for UDK. I think it is just for Unreal 2, which would require the full, $100k+ license.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

ouch!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:ouch!
I hear that lol! And why Unreal 2? I understand that for practical purposes MMOs have to operate about 3 or 4 years behind the technology of, say, FPS games, but why not develop it for Unreal 3 and allow developers to set their own system requirements based on the number and quality of assets they use?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

exactly. There has already been mmos made with unreal 3 so its proven tech. Wonder why they would not update?
Last Known Hero

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Wonder why they would not update?
It costs them money to do so.
Power3DArt

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Last Known Hero wrote:
hallsofvallhalla wrote:Wonder why they would not update?
It costs them money to do so.
It wouldn't have been an update. The MMO extension came out long after Unreal 3 was already out and proven. The Unreal 2 MMO kit came out only about 6 months ago.

The only thing I can think of is that the actual code was written into an unnamed game years ago when Unreal 2 was king, and it was just recently released as a kit.
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

Jackolantern wrote:The only thing I can think of is that the actual code was written into an unnamed game years ago when Unreal 2 was king, and it was just recently released as a kit.
If that were true, then uggggggggggghhhhhhh...

Most MMOs have code that is highly optimized for that particular world. Anyone who have ever worked with the TMMOKit knows what a beast it becomes when you move away from the Minions of Mirth template. The further you go, the oarnerier it gets. Planeshift is even worse, being written in c++ and not in Python. An MMO engine has to be written from the ground up to be an MMO Engine. Multiverse, for all it's problems has a nice architecture and MARS is an example of how to implement a Diku style world ruleset, but replacing mars is as easy as registering a different plug-in.

Return to “3d Engines”