3d game engines

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

3d game engines

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I got asked on some advice of 3d game engines, all types not just mmo. It has been so long since I have look for a engine that I didn't have a lot of info. Just thought we could make a update post about some engines. New ones, improved ones, ect... list any you want to.

I looked at Dark Basic today. I haven't seen anything great come from it in a long while. Maybe I am missing something but it seems to be well outdated and just too slow to deal with.
Sakar

Re: 3d game engines

Post by Sakar »

Dark Basic: Outdated and pretty much just plain crap
Dark Basic Pro: Mike Inel made some good games that you can play here

I've found Unity to be an awesome engine. It's very easy to learn, powerful, and the basic version is free. Many people complain about lack of source code, but that's mostly because Torque has made many people believe that you need source code to make a game in any engine.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I would have to agree with Sakar about Unity, def easy to use and learn...

Dark Basic: Own it, but haven't really used it.
Dark Basic Pro: Never tried it.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

ah yes I recommended Unity. One thing I personally do not like about the free version of unity is the lack or shaders and shadows. The graphics do need to be updated a bit otherwise they will end up as TGE. That is just IMO though. A indie dev does not need graphics.
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:A indie dev does not need graphics.
I feel the need to beg to differ ;)
But on topic:
I feel that Unity so far has blown me away, it is very pwoerful. But I agree with halls, real-time shadows are needed, and more shaders, etc.
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Cayle

Post by Cayle »

Last Known Hero wrote:I feel that Unity so far has blown me away, it is very pwoerful. But I agree with halls, real-time shadows are needed, and more shaders, etc.
You can have that with Unity. You just have to buy Pro. ;)
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

You can do that with the free version...you just have to create the textures with the shadows already in place. It may take more thinking and developing, but you can "fake" it. ;)

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

SpiritWebb wrote:You can do that with the free version...you just have to create the textures with the shadows already in place. It may take more thinking and developing, but you can "fake" it. ;)
But does Unity have any dynamic shadows at all? Like if your character walks under a tree or behind a building, will the free version cast shadows? Or is it only self-casting shadows that free does not have (which are one of the kinds that can be pre-baked)?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

The free version you have to bake the shadows. With the free version there is a shadow piece you can add for underneath the character that would show up under light, to get that circle underneath. Otherwise it will have to be done in the pro version.

The 3rd person tutorial explains how to add the shadow to the character.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

i was under the assumption you cannot even make shaders in the free version.

I had forgotten about UDk....

Return to “3d Engines”