Dark Basic Update

Neo-Axis, Torque, 3D GameStudio, DarkBasic, Blitz3d, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Dark Basic Update

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

taken from newsletter...

DarkBASIC Professional Updates Continue

For those in the know you will have already enjoyed the upgrade release of U73 which included lots of tweaks and a few new features to keep you going. You will also have happened upon the U74 beta versions which charged in straight after U73 was released, including the most anticipated of all features, the release of the FPS Creator V115 game engine source code. This allows you to change and add your own code into the FPS Creator game and create mods of the official engine.

Already in the beta version in addition to some compatibility fixes, you may be pleased to see the expanded functionality of the SET BLEND MAPPING command which now gives you incredible power over the DirectX fixed function pipeline. Implementing pretty much any multi-texturing trick you can think of is now a possibility. An example has been written to show how to use these new parameters and can be found in the SNIPPETS folder. Also in the snippets you will find new examples to show you how to texture your backbuffer with a single command and how to use the ZBIAS commands. Of course there are the usual slew of help page updates as you would expect from an upgrade.

U74 Beta Discussion. We are working with a mystery coder who may have some nice surprises for you in a forthcoming beta version, but more on that when the time is right. For now, enjoy the new upgrade and remember to check out the beta thread if you want to keep up to date with the very latest changes to the language.

Cloth & Particles Demos and Help Files

With release U73 of DarkBASIC Professional came the inclusion of the Cloth & Particles pack as part of Cloth & Particles additional materialthe standard product. To help you embrace the features of this command set, you can download the original example source code, and a comprehensive help file outlining the full set of commands. The files have been posted on the forums, allowing you to feed back and discuss the great ways we imagine you will find of using the effects available to you.
Raven67854

Re: Dark Basic Update

Post by Raven67854 »

Haha darkbasic is finally starting to get stable. And I remember they promised a dx10 version. STILL isn't done and now Dx11 is coming out. Lol wonder if they will skip Dx10 and go straight for 11?
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Raven67854 wrote:Haha darkbasic is finally starting to get stable. And I remember they promised a dx10 version. STILL isn't done and now Dx11 is coming out. Lol wonder if they will skip Dx10 and go straight for 11?
More than likely. DX10 was a joke compared to past versions. DX11 promises to make things like they used to be, but with cutting-edge graphic effects.

And I always considered DarkBASIC Pro to be stable ever since I started using it back in 2004. I never had any stability problems.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Raven67854

Post by Raven67854 »

Ehh? Well it has been pretty buggy since it came out. But its starting to get better :). And yes Dx10 is a huge fucking joke.. Which is why I am hoping they skip Dx10 and go straight for Dx11. But yeah back to darkbasic being stable. I have never had much luck with it sadly. But oh well nice to see it finally getting better though.
C/C++/C#/Blitzmax/Visual Basic Programmer
Blender/XSI user
"It's not what you use. It's how you use it what you have" -Unknown author
"Sleeping the number one cause of death" -Raven67854
""No matter how much shit life throws at me. I will keep on going just to piss life off." -Raven67854

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64x2 5000+ 2.6ghz Black Edition
8 gigs Corsair ram 1066mhz
9800GTX+
2x750gb HD
Vista Home Premium X64
Ubuntu 9.04 X64
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I guess it depends on what you call "stable". As far as games running, I never had any problems there. What I did have problems with, however, were commands not working the way a programmer would think they should. Some things just really did not make sense. The community has largely just learned to work with some of these DBPro quirks. It has been a long time, and I can't remember the exact commands that wracked my brain so hard when I used it, but I know they were there. I think I remember some things about method returns being used in bizarre ways, and stuff like that.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “3d Engines”