Multiple Randoms On Same Page

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
Fireal

Multiple Randoms On Same Page

Post by Fireal »

Hello, I'm still working with getting all my randoms set up for a fighting game I'm working on. My issue is using the same random function twice, once per fighter, to determine a winner. Except, I keep getting the

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare random_int()
issue. My question is how do you go about getting multiple random numbers in the same page with out issue? Thanks!
Jackolantern

Re: Multiple Randoms On Same Page

Post by Jackolantern »

It isn't actually a problem with creating a random number. The issue is that your code is redeclaring the random_int() function. Likely a file is being included multiple times that declares the random_int() function multiple times. You should look at the code that declares that function and then trace back how it is being included into the application.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Fireal

Post by Fireal »

Thanks Jack. However, I still can't seem to figure it out.

I declare the function with

function random_int ($min, $max) {return (mt_rand($min,$max));}
and call it with

$matchFinish = random_int(1,10);
I have tried moving the declaration in the same loop as the call and outside the loop. It is only called once as well. I appreciate any kind of breakdown of this issue a bit more.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

A function must declared only once. So for sure the function declaration must be outside of the loop, but I suspect it will still be called multiple times, can you show us the whole piece of code?
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Fireal

Post by Fireal »

Thanks a_bertrand, that was it! I was losing track of the function declaration in my spaghetti code. It was nested in a loop. Thanks guys!

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”