Wanting to create a Horse Racing Browser game

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
dawi03

Wanting to create a Horse Racing Browser game

Post by dawi03 »

Hi guys,

I am wanting to create a horse racing browser based game, where people login

They can create horses with random ability, ie random distances per furlong, and different speeds (seconds) per furlong up to 24 furlongs.

The variable is training and jockey instructions. training you can put a % on each furlong which will give the horse a boost on that furlong.

Same goes for Jockey instructions, A % is allocated to each furlong, the jock instructions is multiplied by the training on each furlong. ie 10% of training is on furlong 1. if 10% of jock instructions is on furlong 1 that means that 10%x 10% X the furlong speed is allocated.

I also would like breeding to be involved as well whereby you can breed your own horses.

There are a lot of other elements in the game I would like but I am just wanting to start out small so I know how to add variables.

Can anyone point me in the riht direction at all?

Thanks in advance.
Xaos

Re: Wanting to create a Horse Racing Browser game

Post by Xaos »

What's your programming experience? What language are you looking to build the game in?
dawi03

Post by dawi03 »

Xaos wrote:What's your programming experience? What language are you looking to build the game in?

I dont have much programming experience at all, Im good with the strategies i need to do ie the algorithms and mathmatics behind it, but thats it. I would be looking to use sql for the database. Just need someone to show me how to start off
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

I think you need to learn a programming language first, that'd be the first step! Or hire a programmer to implement your algorithms in a game. I reccomend for you Python or .Net as both are good web-languages to learn!
dawi03

Post by dawi03 »

Xaos wrote:I think you need to learn a programming language first, that'd be the first step! Or hire a programmer to implement your algorithms in a game. I reccomend for you Python or .Net as both are good web-languages to learn!

Im happy to hire a programmer to do it, i just need to be shown the basics on how to do changes thats all.

is there a software program that could help me build this at all? where I get confused is how the hell do i get the game into the www
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Well, say for example you want to do the game in PHP. You simply upload the PHP files to a server and the server runs PHP. That's why, for example, you could .php at the end of same URLs. The server loads the file and runs the code.

If you want to hire a programmer to create the code and to buy the code outright, and you just want to make modifications, that's one thing. If you want to create the game yourself, that's another. Hiring a programmer could be very expensive (if they create all of the algorithms, etc.) or not very expensive, if you create all of the algorithms, game mechanic ideas, etc. and they have to change into code. I suggest you go to codecademy and do their PHP, Python and Javascript lessons. As well as basic HTML and CSS. If you're 100% sure about hiring a guy to do it all, maybe you can ask Jackolantern or hallsofvalhalla to move this thread to Recruitment or to create a new thread in Recruitment describing what the programmer would need to do exactly and the pay.
dawi03

Post by dawi03 »

Xaos wrote:Well, say for example you want to do the game in PHP. You simply upload the PHP files to a server and the server runs PHP. That's why, for example, you could .php at the end of same URLs. The server loads the file and runs the code.

If you want to hire a programmer to create the code and to buy the code outright, and you just want to make modifications, that's one thing. If you want to create the game yourself, that's another. Hiring a programmer could be very expensive (if they create all of the algorithms, etc.) or not very expensive, if you create all of the algorithms, game mechanic ideas, etc. and they have to change into code. I suggest you go to codecademy and do their PHP, Python and Javascript lessons. As well as basic HTML and CSS. If you're 100% sure about hiring a guy to do it all, maybe you can ask Jackolantern or hallsofvalhalla to move this thread to Recruitment or to create a new thread in Recruitment describing what the programmer would need to do exactly and the pay.

really appreciate it mate!!

I might do the codeacademy thing and try and create it myself. Ive got all the algorythms set up ready to implement. I just have no idea how to lol
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You could work on some of the PHP YouTube tutorials linked in the section at the bottom of the forums here. They were made a while back by the founder of this site, Halls :)

Even though it is pretty different from the type of game you are wanting to make, it will show you how PHP works, and I think it assumed basically no programming experience. The "Browser MMO Tutorial" (the most popular and longest series) was not really designed to be like a cookbook (even though it could be used that way), but rather it was designed so that when you were done with it, you would have the experience to create new and totally different features on your own so you could make your own game :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
dawi03

Post by dawi03 »

Jackolantern wrote:You could work on some of the PHP YouTube tutorials linked in the section at the bottom of the forums here. They were made a while back by the founder of this site, Halls :)

Even though it is pretty different from the type of game you are wanting to make, it will show you how PHP works, and I think it assumed basically no programming experience. The "Browser MMO Tutorial" (the most popular and longest series) was not really designed to be like a cookbook (even though it could be used that way), but rather it was designed so that when you were done with it, you would have the experience to create new and totally different features on your own so you could make your own game :)

Thanks heaps mate I will look at this as well!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

No problem :)

It shows you how to install everything and get started as well. Some of the menus may look a little different since the video series was started about 5 years ago or so. But it should still be easy to follow, and it is generally how most new developers on this forum learned the basics of PHP.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”