HTML5 side scroller = parallex scrolling???

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
Sim

HTML5 side scroller = parallex scrolling???

Post by Sim »

So I was googling and supposively its called "parellex scrolling" for a side scrolling. I was debating on whether I should custom code a side scrolling engine or use some pre-made engine.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
OldRod

Re: HTML5 side scroller = parallex scrolling???

Post by OldRod »

Parallax scrolling is not simply side scrolling.

In parallax scrolling, you have multiple backdrops and the ones further back scroll slower than the ones up close. For instance, you might have a layer that has sky/clouds, then a layer with mountains, and another with trees. Since the trees are the closest to the camera, they would scroll the fastest, the sky would be the slowest.

This gives the illusion of 3D movement as objects further away seem to move more slowly.
Sim

Post by Sim »

Thanks OldRod for the information. I believe I will be using parallax scrolling for this.

So my question is should I use some already made graphics rendering engine or just build my own? I have built a 2d rpg world rendering engine before so rendering engines but that was around 10years ago in vb6.
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
sniko

Post by sniko »

Sim wrote:Thanks OldRod for the information. I believe I will be using parallax scrolling for this.

So my question is should I use some already made graphics rendering engine or just build my own? I have built a 2d rpg world rendering engine before so rendering engines but that was around 10years ago in vb6.

It depends on your application and requirements. We can't really answer that.

Code: Select all

class Life extends Bitch {
  //...
}
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Maybe this will help get you started:

http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tut ... -cms-21510

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”