Mmorpg

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
kimsiyan

Mmorpg

Post by kimsiyan »

Hello, I am new here and I am currently studying on how to make browser based mmorpg like BrowserQuest
i am an I.T student and i do have backgrounds for HTML/css(websites only) and C# but when i started learning
on how to make browser based mmorpg it really makes me confuse. Can anyone tell me steps in order to make it. just the steps
so it does not make me confuse.. (how it become online/multiplayer, database..etc..) i have searched some guides and they say they are using java script.
a_bertrand

Re: Mmorpg

Post by a_bertrand »

BrowserQuest is basically mainly JS code running on the browser, with some parts on the server for example to handle web sockets. You could either rely on pre-made JS engines (there is quite a few out there) or implement all by yourself. Be prepared to code a lot to have a multi player RPG, and not only that, you will need art and content (story / quests / items / monsters).

I wrote a while back a tutorial about how to make an ISO game from scratch, but I don't think this is was you want. So for sure, first thing: learn JS ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Did they change browserquest from flash? It use to be all flash.
kimsiyan

Post by kimsiyan »

can you give me some ideas on where should i start and step by step in order to understand and create a mmorpg.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Did they change browserquest from flash? It use to be all flash.
No, BrowserQuest is the one that's done by Mozilla, all in javascript and HTML5. It's not Flash.

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/03/browserquest/

As for the poster's question, not sure. I played around with the code only very little.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You could at least get the beginning of working with the commercial JS engine, ImpactJS and the most common server platform, Node.js, to create an MMORPG in Halls tutorial series here.

But yes, you will absolutely want to learn Javascript. If you know C#, you will find JS to be much more forgiving and "simple" than C#, although not nearly as elegant.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
kimsiyan

Post by kimsiyan »

so sad that impactjs is not free. :(
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

kimsiyan wrote:so sad that impactjs is not free. :(
True, it isn't free, but it is worth the money. You will find most high-quality game engines are not free. They either have an up-front cost or a royalty fee (of which Impact has the former but not the latter). I have tried pretty much all HTML5 game engines, and ImpactJS is the best HTML5 engine working with Javascript (I would probably rank Game Maker Studio above Impact, but that is even more expensive and generates the JS; you actually work with a proprietary language called GML and extensive editors with Game Maker Studio).

If you want a good free HTML5 game engine, I would say CraftyJS is likely on the top of that heap. It has a lot of the same features as Impact, but doesn't include the integrated tile map editor and just doesn't feel as fully baked in other ways as well. But there are discussions in their Google Group about using 3rd party tile editors.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

crap I was thinking adventure quest :oops:
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

kimsiyan wrote:can you give me some ideas on where should i start and step by step in order to understand and create a mmorpg.
Have you looked at Hall's video series?

I think where you start is knowing how to do just a basic text based page that can connect with and change a database. I find those videos to tell me how to do that (Hall's recommends watching all of them first, but I found I got along with watching the first five, then experimenting).

As I understand things, that is definately the first step.

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”