2.5D for Android

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
Last Known Hero

2.5D for Android

Post by Last Known Hero »

Hey all,

I'm pretty inexperienced with programming/coding, having only dealt with Turing (school programming class was not what I expected).

Anyways I am looking into creating a 2.5D Isometric game for Android, simple enough design idea I just want to make something that really makes you feel like your progressing when paying and not sitting waiting for the day counters to finish so you can move on.

What would be my best approach? I'm not committed to a certain engine or anything just want to gather some of the details before I dive too deep in.
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
a_bertrand

Re: 2.5D for Android

Post by a_bertrand »

Best bet for android is that you dig into Java and all the android graphics libs. Second option would be to find one of the many HTML 5 framework which will make your app portable between web, android and ios. But honestly I doubt you will get as much performances as if you do it in Java or C++.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Last Known Hero

This is already getting over my head lol. I shouldn't have done 3D and learned programming instead
Power3DArt

a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Well those are normally 2 different worlds and it's rare to find somebody doing both. You would be maybe better served by joining with a developer which could do the programming while you concentrate on the art side. Yet you could end up having your partner get bored and stop in the middle of the project. What's clear is that if you do all by yourself it takes you a lot of efforts and you may not end up having a good code and a good art and a good story ;)
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Last Known Hero

Yeah I was hoping for the time being I could get along on my own. Maybe I'll develop the art then when thats 'complete' I'll look into a programming buddy. I wasn't overly worried about a story actually, this is more of a confidence project to prove to myself I can actually finish a project.
Power3DArt

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Honestly, this is the perfect situation for something like Game Maker Studio or Construct 2. Both of them can export to Android, and both of them are very different from coding. You drag and drop the game logic into an editor, rather than write code, and both of them are well-proven. Isometric isn't included out of the box for them, but both of them can do it (the Game Maker video is actually for GM 8.1, but obviously Game Maker Studio could do the same thing, and probably even better), just like really any game engine can once you know how.

Maybe download a trial and see how you take to it. But both of them are great for A. Artists creating their own games, B. rapidly prototyping games, and C. creating games that are simply push-button to export to other platforms.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”